Foggy Green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfishies

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some of you are familiar with me & have helped with something different in the past, now I am back looking for new help.

Tank set up 3 years
Lighting times are different But I do not leave lights on for hours a day

30 gal tall, Fresh water, Ammonia 0.25, Ni-Trite 0, Ni-TrAte 20
1 albino clawed frog 2 neons, 1 snail & 3 giant danios.

What might this foggy green color be developing in my tank?

I read online to give a big water change & then cover it up, maybe a algae bloom. I have had it about a week, I totally covered the tank from light for 3 days & gave no feedings to the fish or frog. I also cleaned the sides front & back of glass & some of the bottom.

I did feed them last night & I tested the water levels this morning & those are the results listed above.

Should I of changed the filter when I did this cleaning & water change?

I will post pictures, Another thing I noticed is my boyfriend put a bio wheel in the filter that I used a couple months ago,could this of started it? He thought I forgot to put it back in. It was in there maybe 2 or 3 days.

I am in the basement with 2 small older type windows on each side that do pull down to open, you will see one of the windows in the photo. I recently moved the fish tank about 13 feet in front of the window, it has been there for about a month, did that cause this problem?

2 days ago I have moved the tank to the other side of the room where it`s darker & the sun will not shine in as much as it did in the last place.

it took 2 days for the water to turn back to this greenish color since I did the water change & cleaning & had moved the tank. So basically it came right back.

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 57
  • tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 66
  • tank4.JPG
    tank4.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 60
  • tankk.JPG
    tankk.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 61
Honestly I don't see anything from the pictures.

But.. A UV sterilizer will clear up green water.

Caleb

Some of you are familiar with me & have helped with something different in the past, now I am back looking for new help.

Tank set up 3 years
Lighting times are different But I do not leave lights on for hours a day

30 gal tall, Fresh water, Ammonia 0.25, Ni-Trite 0, Ni-TrAte 20
1 albino clawed frog 2 neons, 1 snail & 3 giant danios.

What might this foggy green color be developing in my tank?

I read online to give a big water change & then cover it up, maybe a algae bloom. I have had it about a week, I totally covered the tank from light for 3 days & gave no feedings to the fish or frog. I also cleaned the sides front & back of glass & some of the bottom.

I did feed them last night & I tested the water levels this morning & those are the results listed above.

Should I of changed the filter when I did this cleaning & water change?

I will post pictures, Another thing I noticed is my boyfriend put a bio wheel in the filter that I used a couple months ago,could this of started it? He thought I forgot to put it back in. It was in there maybe 2 or 3 days.

I am in the basement with 2 small older type windows on each side that do pull down to open, you will see one of the windows in the photo. I recently moved the fish tank about 13 feet in front of the window, it has been there for about a month, did that cause this problem?

2 days ago I have moved the tank to the other side of the room where it`s darker & the sun will not shine in as much as it did in the last place.

it took 2 days for the water to turn back to this greenish color since I did the water change & cleaning & had moved the tank. So basically it came right back.

Ok going to try to touch on a couple things. One green cloudiness is usually an algae bloom.
What celeb mentioned will work I use a uv steriliser on my outdoor pond and I do not see any floating algae.
But my only caveat would be the conditions to create algae will still be there, which can be indicative of an environment that could become unsafe for the fish.
algae needs two things to grow nutrients and light.
You should do a nitrate test my guess would be this is higher than it should be.
1 I would time your aquarium light to no more than 8 hours a day.
2 I would do small PWC every other day 10-20%. Making sure to get rid of any organics that maybe trapped in the substrate.
3 dosing with flourish excel everyday will help with algae as well as providing co2 for your plants.
You can also do a blackout period to speed up. Turn off your lights and cover tank with a towel for 24-48 hours your plants will survive the dark for a bit, algae may die or at least be more controllable.

In regards to filters, I only clean filters when I notice a decrease in flow out of it. Even then I only clean 1 at a time(I have 2 hobs, each with 2 media). This way I don't kill the beneficial bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Really can't see any green water in the pictures. How are you managing to do so much tank moving? That is a major job!
Anyway frequent water changes and a few days with a towel over the tank should help. Test your water for nitrates. As said above, they may be very high. Frequent water changes should help to bring them down. Also cut down on feedings for a few days.

Several months back I had a issue with my ph & was told it could be the white gravel I had in there, well I changed it to the bigger type of the rock gravel & I did a filter change at the same time that was my fault :banghead: & I ended up starting a cycle in my tank,

anyways my ni-trates took months to clear up while everything else was great.
I finally have the trates under control. But now are up to 20 since the green water has started showing up. I will be doing water changes.

I did another water change today & have covered it up, I will be buying a phosphate filter tomorrow.

I had to move the tank from where it was because it was in front of the window & the time before that was just because I moved my room around. & at that time they was in process of needing a larger water change so that was a perfect time to do it.

the fish & frog is worth the time & effort that I put into the work to move them around :fish2: Thank you for your reply :) I really appreciate it

I hope I am posting my comments back to your comments in the right places. I don`t know if I do quick quotes or quotes or fast reply's I thank you all for the help on this.

I wonder if not having enough light can also cause a algae bloom.
I only have it on about a hour if that & I will turn it on once in a while during the day to play with the frog

Back
Top Bottom