food as ammonia??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting to cycle an 8g tank for my betta and plan on doing a fishless cycle. I read i can use fish food as an ammonia source so I'm wondering how to go about it. I have flake, prima, algae pellets and high protein feed. Which would be best to use? Also how much do i add?

dudeofrude said:
I'm starting to cycle an 8g tank for my betta and plan on doing a fishless cycle. I read i can use fish food as an ammonia source so I'm wondering how to go about it. I have flake, prima, algae pellets and high protein feed. Which would be best to use? Also how much do i add?

Using pure ammonia is much better. Trying to judge the amount of food needed is a real guess. Ammonia is not expensive.

Food is a poor choice as it needs to be broken down by bacteria, who produce the ammonia you are looking for. This takes time, while liquid ammonia starts working immediately.

Oh ok I'll pick some up then i just thought i would give it a go with stuff i have before having to buy anything. But not if its gonna be a pain, I'll have to stop being cheap lol

A bottle of ammonia is cheaper than a high quality flake food is. It should only be like $3. :) Just make sure it has no surfectants or additives in it. You can shake the bottle and then open it and look inside and if there is no foam, ou should be good. :)

I've got some media from my 36g in there already :) running a fluval u1 in there so I've got plenty of filtration. Hopefully along with the ammonia it shouldnt be too long till i can get my betta in there

Probably, yes, I would say so. Ace hardware is the most recommended brand if you can get it. But any pure ammonia without anything else added is fine.

Back
Top Bottom