Food for angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to know some good foods angels like. I would prefer frozen but im also ok with freeze dried. Thank you

I wouldn't do any freeze-dried at all. If you are going to do frozen you will need to have a lot of variety. The staple of any diet should be a high quality pellet. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum exclusively. IME it is by far the best food out there right now.

Fishguy2727 said:
I wouldn't do any freeze-dried at all. If you are going to do frozen you will need to have a lot of variety. The staple of any diet should be a high quality pellet. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum exclusively. IME it is by far the best food out there right now.

Ok. I'll get new life spectrum pellets. But what about other things for variety? Frozen brine shrimp? Blackworms?

Mine are voracious. Flakes, pellets, frozen blood worms. They eat it all.

^What Togliat said. I feed mine Omega One flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, Hikari brine shrimp, and Hikari frozen blood worms. (Not all together, but on a rotating basis. They only get fed a small amount of my food of choice 2x a day.)

I'd have to say their favorite thing is the frozen bloodworms, but they'll eat anything..Mine also eat duckweed like there is no tomorrow. Word of warning with the pellets..make sure you get the appropriate size for your particular Angels. Smaller Angels won't touch a larger pellet but prefer the very smallest size.

I make my own food for my fish. I have two recipes that I use.

For my omnivorous/carnivorous fish (including angels)

beefheart, shrimp, peas, broccoli, garlic, spirulina powder and vitamins

For my low protein omnivores (mbunas)
same thing just no beefheart.

I can say that it's much healthier than a food that has 8% ash.
New Life Spectrum Thera A Pellets:: Fresh Bulk Aquarium Fish Food and Supplies

They don't need variety, they need a complete and balanced diet. NLS can provide this on its own. They will do better on it alone than on a variety.

This is purely a matter of opinion. Angels will do just fine with a high quality staple, and if you choose to mix up their diet some, that is just fine also IME. The angels I have kept over the years have done great on NLS, and also Hikari, Xtreme, "Plecocaine", Ken's formulas (various), and Omega One.

There is NOT just one answer when it comes to feeding fish.

I also agree with the poster that said that angels are voracious and will eat pretty much anything you throw in there... and whatever you choose is going to be FINE, as long as it isn't some ultra cheapo food. Check the ingredients! Live food is great IME and will stimulate a hunting response that you won't get to see from prepared foods alone.

Do they NEED variety? No, perhaps not. But if the aquarist chooses to feed a variety of foods and ends up with strong, robust fish, who are any of us to say it is the wrong answer?

I need to know some good foods angels like. I would prefer frozen but im also ok with freeze dried. Thank you

Hi maxwell, I'd go with frozen bloodworms over brine shrimp. It seems like most of my fish prefer them. I've run into a bunch of flats of different frozen foods, it's too bad I don't know of any way to safely ship them and keep them in their frozen state apart from doing overnight which makes things really expensive.

I don't suggest using freeze dried at all, it seems like there is a lot of waste.

My angel will eat ANYTHING. Flakes, wafers, mysis shrimp, blood worms, you name it. He loves the blood worms so i suggest those, just dont over feed

I don't want to get all caught up in the which food is better discussion. All I would like to say is that my angel loved the Omega One+ Sinking Pellets I fed it.

This is purely a matter of opinion. Angels will do just fine with a high quality staple, and if you choose to mix up their diet some, that is just fine also IME. The angels I have kept over the years have done great on NLS, and also Hikari, Xtreme, "Plecocaine", Ken's formulas (various), and Omega One.

There is NOT just one answer when it comes to feeding fish.

I also agree with the poster that said that angels are voracious and will eat pretty much anything you throw in there... and whatever you choose is going to be FINE, as long as it isn't some ultra cheapo food. Check the ingredients! Live food is great IME and will stimulate a hunting response that you won't get to see from prepared foods alone.

Do they NEED variety? No, perhaps not. But if the aquarist chooses to feed a variety of foods and ends up with strong, robust fish, who are any of us to say it is the wrong answer?
What ingredients and amounts of different things should I be looking for?

To the OP, feed what you want. As you can tell from this thread, there are plenty of good options out there. IME you cannot go wrong with any flake food. I provide a variety of frozen foods to my fish as well.

As for me, I use TetraMin flakes. Hikari shrimp pellets, San Francisco Bay frozen foods. All my fish readily gobble up all of the above.

The main reason I stay away from NLS is the price tag. Period. Why pay $10-15 for a can of something you can get for $5. Tetra has been around for decades and they wouldn't be if they sold poor quality flakes.

My experience with angels is that if you can feed them a goodly amount of live food they will grow faster. With live or frozen, the amount has to be much greater because of the moisture content difference, which is close to 90% in live and frozen, and perhaps 10% or less in prepared foods. fat is a necessary ingredient in foods for breeding fish because of the high fat content of eggs.
things like fatty livers and such are not caused by fat in the diet, but rather by digestible carbohydrates. this was not an issue with steam processes to produce pellets, but is in modern extrusion techniques. to me, and I had this discussion with a vet with regard to prepared dog foods, more important than the nutritional analysis, is the list of ingredients. If wheat is the first ingredient in a food for a carnivore, (saw this on a Hikari pack) it probably isn't a good food. Fish meal is a common staple in fish foods, but there is a huge difference between grades and types. If you look at farmed salmon, which are fed a "nutritionally balanced" diet of pellets, their fitness as food for humans is questionable and they don't compare to their wild caught relatives for food value/health benefits, to humans. Why? The reason is that the commercial foods contain a fair amount of grains and what is missing is the items salmon naturally get from their diet in the wild, and as a result the farmed salmon don't have the essential Omega acids that are a health benefit to humans.
Foods need to have a certain mix of amino acids and their source isn't important, as they are the building blocks. Fish foods, generally, are a mix of items that contain these essential amino acids as well as other amino acids that may not be used by the fish. Clearly, a quality food will have good sources for the aminos we want to feed. The ingredient list will tell you more about this than the nutritional analysis will. Keep in mind that commercial foods need to be produce at a profit and competition will force the various companies to look at cost cutting measures at all times. Much of this info comes from a presentation on fish nutrition, given at our club, by a rep for a company that has made food for aquaculture for more than 80 years. The info he presented was mostly of a scientific nature, as they don't make tropical fish food. He did formulate a Koi and Goldfish pellet food, which is great for cichlids, which he keeps.
Read the labels.
As far as feeding angels, if you look at what Angels Plus feeds their fish, and they breed and sell exceptionally fine fish, using a reasonably priced food.
NLS is a great food, albeit pricey, even when buying in quantity.

OK, This is the OP`s question. Many post were deleted as it veered off course of this question. Please just state what you feed and why and leave it at that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I have 4 Phillipine Blue Angels... I feed them NLS (the one with Garlic) and they love it. And once a week I gave them blood worms (Hikary). They are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom