Food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddot82

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are the best foods for a freshwater community tank? I have a couple types of flakes, algae wafers, freeze dried bloodworms, pellets, and frozen foods(spirulina). Are some brands better than others? Any suggestions other types of food and where to get them? I basically want the best foods I can get to promote growth, color, and overall health and happiness.

What are the best foods for a freshwater community tank? I have a couple types of flakes, algae wafers, freeze dried bloodworms, pellets, and frozen foods(spirulina). Are some brands better than others? Any suggestions other types of food and where to get them? I basically want the best foods I can get to promote growth, color, and overall health and happiness.

New life spectrum! :)

In a basic community tank you shouldn't need to feed too many foods, maybe a flake or pellet type food for the mid-top swimmers and a sinking pellet for the bottom dwellers. New Life Spectrum and Omega One are pretty quality brands to look in to. As long as the staple food contains all the necessary nutrients needed for the fish, there is no real need to feed anything else.

In a basic community tank you shouldn't need to feed too many foods, maybe a flake or pellet type food for the mid-top swimmers and a sinking pellet for the bottom dwellers. New Life Spectrum and Omega One are pretty quality brands to look in to. As long as the staple food contains all the necessary nutrients needed for the fish, there is no real need to feed anything else.

Does giving a variety help at all? Different foods on different days?

New life spectrum, hands down. Quality food, independent company ( last time I checked but that was a few years ago), great colors! My fish have always seemed to enjoy it and there's a lot less extra stuff in it....no corn, byproducts etc. I also feed frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms by....San Francisco something or other. I will have to check the name again, I just started supplementing and treating :)

New life spectrum, hands down. Quality food, independent company ( last time I checked but that was a few years ago), great colors! My fish have always seemed to enjoy it and there's a lot less extra stuff in it....no corn, byproducts etc. I also feed frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms by....San Francisco something or other. I will have to check the name again, I just started supplementing and treating :)

Yeah I have that san Francisco stuff I think. Looks like I'm getting some new life spectrum tomorrow.

You could also look into Omega One. I have fed my fish Omega One and I have no complaints. NLS is good, but there are also other brands that will give your fish adequate nutrition.

Both NLS and Omega One are top quality foods for fish. I use only omega one. Its really nutrients rich and some help promote vibrant colors as well. Petsmart feeds their fish omega one as well

Help - May switch from API to NLS - Advice ??

API Tropical Pemium Community Fish Flakes don't seem as good as first thought. They are way too "fine grained" .... must shut off filter while feeding ...... fish seem to love it ... but neons especially seem to spit it back out. I think too much is ending up uneaten except by Albino Corys.

Tank ..... 38 gallon stocked as follows:

2 x albino cory (very small)
5 x black neons
8 x neon tetra
5 x Harlequin Rasbora
5 x Serpae Tetra
5 x white cloud
5 x Red Eye Tetra
2 x Platy (Red Wagtail).

More info here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...revent-problems-38-gallon-stocked-274129.html

Help - Which of the bazillion kinds of NLS foods shown on their website would be right for my tank ?? Thanks in advance.

Edit: After looking around, it appears New Life Spectrum Freshwater Flakes With Garlic will be the best choice. Anyone disagree? I will probably order the NLS plus the API test kit you all recommended from Amazon soon. Thanks.

Does food go bad?
I have read that you should only buy a month supply at a time cause food looses its nutrients once there open.

I keep a small container for daily feeding & keep the rest in the freezer. I think I read 4 mos is the shelf life of most dried foods .

Flakes vs sinking pellets

My loaches dance and for the sinking pellets. They shy one even gets all crazy for them :)

Thanks. I ordered New Life Spectrum Freshwater Flakes w/Garlic - 90 g from
Amazon .... because I have always used flake food (along with occasional frozen brine shrimp).

I am now rethinking that and may just bite the bullet and get the sinking pellets, too. When I look at how my fish eat ....... they are mostly "below the surface - middle of the tank" eaters.

I'll see how the flakes do but given my mix of fish in post #14 above, I may go ahead and get some sinking pellets, too. Do they sink slow enough that tetras will have time to eat them ??????? Which specific pellets should I get given my mix of fish ....... most are fairly small tetra types ........ should I get the sinking pellets for small fish ...... or a regular community type sinking pellet ??

The API community flakes are horrible ...... way to fine ....... must turn off filter to feed fish ... some particles so small even the neons & tiny rasobors ignore them !!!!!!!!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom