Foraging for Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
If someone could help me identify the kinds of rock shown here, it would be very helpful. =) These are off the Maine coast, and I haven't washed them or done a MA test yet...I would just like to know what they are.

They were collected around here. 8)
beach.jpg

Here's the first catch of the day..
rock1.jpg

And a second, smaller rock..
rock2.jpg

And does anyone know if the rocks in the following picture are slate rocks or something else..? Some of them have very interesting shapes.
rocks.jpg

Thank you for any help.

I am no rock expert but both rock I would assume to be inert. The first appearing to me be a granite type rock. Other than the possibility of leaching metals and/or toxins I would think they would neither add nor take away from any buffering capacity.

Just my thoughts
R-

I really can't help. I just wish I could take a walk on that beach! :)

I have added quit a few found rocks to all of my tanks actually and never had a problem so good luck.

The first is granite stone, the second is called mudstone. It is a mix of shale, mud, clay, limestone and calcite. You can use them in your aquarium, but it may make the water cloudy because the main ingredient is mud. Youll have no prob with the granite though.

I just noticed a mistake, I was not talking about the second rock, I am speaking of the small ones you show at the bottom... sorry

Yes it contains limestone, but also has a few other ingredients... see above :) DO NOT USE THEM if you want clear water....

Back
Top Bottom