Found 2 baby fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheesy318

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my 29gallon planted tank about 3 weeks ago. I have had it stocked for 2 weeks.

3 gold danios
2 hifin Platy
2 Cherry Barbs

I noticed two itty bitty baby fish. They kinda look like the Platys but too small to tell. Any ideas?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403835746.547800.jpg
It's blurry

I am awe struck
I find this absolutely amazing to have a breeding pair if something!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is most likely a platy baby. Platies are live bearing fish while the other fish in your tank are egg layers. Congrats!

I knew the Platys were live bearers but wasn't sure about the other two. Have been in the freshwater hobby for a year now. Have a 45 gallon tank with all the same fish from set up minus a few. Haven't come across anything like this yet.

I am very excited. Is there anything I can do to keep them safe? From filter or other fish?

How many babies do live bearers usually have?

I'm not sure how many they have, a lot usually. Maybe around 30? To keep them safe from the filter, you could put a piece of panty hose over the intake. Or if you want to, you could buy a cheap breeding netted box that can sit inside the main tank. The babies would be safe there. Otherwise, just make sure there are lots of hiding spots for them. :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404005073.776253.jpg

I got a much better picture of my fry. We have three! When do they start getting color?

Back
Top Bottom