Found a little Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new 20G tank is currently under cycling and its been a week since the cycle started. I am using Tetra safe start and fish food for the process.

Just today I noticed a small brown snail on my live plants. Probably came along with the plants.

Should I let it be in? I was anyway planning to keep snails along with the fish. But the only concern is I do not know which species is the snail.

Should I wait for it to grow? If it survives the filter etcIMG_6997.jpg

I'm doing a fishless cycle on my tank right now also and have snails in there from the live plants. I also have a small tank on the side that I'm using as a snail tank to feed my dwarf puffers once my cycle is over. I've just left the snails in the cycling tank. It would probably do more harm to remove them because they are so small and I think I would crush them. If they get big enough, I remove them and put them in my snail tank. I've also wondered though how they could survive the ammonia and nitrites in my cycling tank.

I'm doing a fishless cycle on my tank right now also and have snails in there from the live plants. I also have a small tank on the side that I'm using as a snail tank to feed my dwarf puffers once my cycle is over. I've just left the snails in the cycling tank. It would probably do more harm to remove them because they are so small and I think I would crush them. If they get big enough, I remove them and put them in my snail tank. I've also wondered though how they could survive the ammonia and nitrites in my cycling tank.

Ok even I am thinking of letting them just there.
And since I am doing a fish food based cycling my ammonia is still a around 0.5ppm since I last checked and my tank already has tetra SS. So probably the water is not as toxic.

Honestly now is the deciding point if you want to pick out the snail/snails you already have and try to keep it pest free, or just let them grow out and keep snails in your tank. If you do not want snails, and purchase more plants you can also do a bleach dip (Google process) to help strip your plants of unwanted critters and pest eggs.

Personally I love the look of snails in a tank. For the same reasons I like my water full of tannins, I feel it's more natural and healthy for my fish. Snails however do wreck havoc on your filter impellers if you use HOB style filters.

Honestly now is the deciding point if you want to pick out the snail/snails you already have and try to keep it pest free, or just let them grow out and keep snails in your tank. If you do not want snails, and purchase more plants you can also do a bleach dip (Google process) to help strip your plants of unwanted critters and pest eggs.

Personally I love the look of snails in a tank. For the same reasons I like my water full of tannins, I feel it's more natural and healthy for my fish. Snails however do wreck havoc on your filter impellers if you use HOB style filters.

Basically I just want to wait what kind of snail it is. If its a netrite or apple snail probably I would like to keep it. Even I have anyway planned to get some snails for the same reason as you said, it would look more natural :)

But anyway since today morning I am not able to trace it in my tank :(

Basically I just want to wait what kind of snail it is. If its a netrite or apple snail probably I would like to keep it. Even I have anyway planned to get some snails for the same reason as you said, it would look more natural :)

But anyway since today morning I am not able to trace it in my tank :(
It is pretty uncommon for a nerite or Apple snail to hitchhike on plants. Most fish stores keep them in regular unplanted commercial tanks for this reason. Pond/bladder snails can be a pain to deal with, Ramshorn aren't too bad looking but reproduce like a pond snail and might get into your filter. I have my fingers crossed it is one of the nerite or mystery/Apple snails!

It is pretty uncommon for a nerite or Apple snail to hitchhike on plants. Most fish stores keep them in regular unplanted commercial tanks for this reason. Pond/bladder snails can be a pain to deal with, Ramshorn aren't too bad looking but reproduce like a pond snail and might get into your filter. I have my fingers crossed it is one of the nerite or mystery/Apple snails!

Ha ha ok :) Anyway I did see two yesterday and I am not able to find them today. Will wait for few more days before I decide if to keep them or not.

Ha ha ok :) Anyway I did see two yesterday and I am not able to find them today. Will wait for few more days before I decide if to keep them or not.
Best of luck! I got my Ramshorn as hitchhikers in some plants I ordered online. Wasn't too happy about it, but they grew on me and mine are a nice deep orange or blue in color. I have them in all my tanks now along with a mystery snail or two.

Best of luck! I got my Ramshorn as hitchhikers in some plants I ordered online. Wasn't too happy about it, but they grew on me and mine are a nice deep orange or blue in color. I have them in all my tanks now along with a mystery snail or two.

Sure. Thank you :) i did have a lot of apple snails in my prev tank and I know they are a breeding machine :)

Sure. Thank you :) i did have a lot of apple snails in my prev tank and I know they are a breeding machine :)
Luckily if they are nerite they won't reproduce in freshwater, they still lay little white egg sacks over everything though ?

Back
Top Bottom