Fourth aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put the sand in and finally got out the equipment. Uh oh... I THINK IT'S FOR SALTWATER!!! I have no idea what any of it even does, and I'm not sure if I can even use it for a FW tank. Please help!

Sorry, overreaction. I'm just going to sell them on craigslist and use the money to buy suitable equipment.

I'm going to buy an Emperor 280 HOB filter. Does anyone else have experience with that one? Also, do I have to buy a new light? I don't know if the Current Nova Extreme is for saltwater or freshwater or if it even matters.

I finally set it up!!! It is currently about 2/3 full of water, with all the equipment working great. The only question/concern is that I noticed the light has a normal light, but also a blue light. Is that for nighttime, or saltwater, or what?

I finally set it up!!! It is currently about 2/3 full of water, with all the equipment working great. The only question/concern is that I noticed the light has a normal light, but also a blue light. Is that for nighttime, or saltwater, or what?

Just a night light. Most of my lights have this option.

Caleb

Thanks! I was worried that I might have to buy a new lighting system if it was for saltwater.

And just when I think everything is going great, the filter isn't working. ? It makes that grinding, slurping sound that a filter makes when it is trying to get started. I tried helping it along by pouring some water in, but it just spilled back out. AAARGH! What am I doing wrong?

Try taking it apart and cleaning everything. I've had a filter do something like that before. Cleaned it all up and it worked again.

Caleb

I'm going to be leaving AA for a while, so there probably aren't going to be any more posts until it is fully set up. Bye.

I'm back, at least for now. Here's where the tank is at the moment. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434230011.641486.jpg
Caleb, I followed your advice and the filter is working perfectly now!
I'm not quite at the aquascaping stage yet, because I still need more plants and some rocks to hold the driftwood down, so that's why everything is just floating around.

Just one problem: I noticed some white fuzz on the wood. Is that normal for a cycling tank?

Really has nothing to with cycling. I believe there are substances in new driftwood that favor the growth of fungus. In time it will pass. I had the same thing with some manzanita. I got impatient, took it out, boiled it again and put it back. The fungus did not return after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom