fowlr tank soon to be in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
So i hear :) i picked up one hermit crab today, think im gonna get another hermit tomorrow and maybe a snail to start with :)

If they have a variety of snails and hermits and snails you could get just about one of each kind they have, minus the turbo grazers. Those guys can bulldoze a small, or even a large, tank. You won't need a big clean up crew anyway.

CorallineAlgae said:
If they have a variety of snails and hermits and snails you could get just about one of each kind they have, minus the turbo grazers. Those guys can bulldoze a small, or even a large, tank. You won't need a big clean up crew anyway.

Indeed :) I think I'm going just going to get another hermit and some type of snail for now.. down the line when my tanks more established I'm going to get a peppermint shrimp :)

crister13 said:
Just make sure the snails and the hermits have food.

Yep, think I should just throw some flakes in there n let them fall to the bottom or should I buy proper food for them?

Benamayer said:
Any new additions yet??

Not yet I'm leaving work in about 15mins then heading to the LFS, think I'm just gonna get some more crabs and snails for now. Too soon to get fish I think, and I wanna check out some corals while I'm there :) I'll keep ya posted.

I know I sound like a broken record but I put a new thread up in the proper category if it matters labeled "*OFFICIAL* 16G Bow front"

Now that my tank is cycled I figured id change it lol

Okay after adding 1 hermit crab and tested, all my other numbers are okay except for my pH. It went from 8.0 to 8.4

Why do you think that is??

Benamayer said:
The hermit wouldn't have caused it to jump. Take another reading...

Well I just added another hermit crab and 6 little snails, I forget what they were called, I'll test again in a lil bit and let ya know

DanS180 said:
Well I just added another hermit crab and 6 little snails, I forget what they were called, I'll test again in a lil bit and let ya know

That still won't boost your PH...

When you did your PWC after your trate reading, did you match the salinity? What was your salinity reading at and what is it reading at now? A higher reading MAY yield a higher
PH...

Benamayer said:
When you did your PWC after your trate reading, did you match the salinity? What was your salinity reading at and what is it reading at now? A higher reading MAY yield a higher
PH...

To be honest, I haven't changed it yet, my trates are still sitting between 10-20ppm.. I plan on changing it tomorrow but my salinity right now is 1.025

No clue why your PH would rise?? But.. I WOULD do at least a 10% PWC to bring the trates down. Especially since you added stock, the ammonia they will release will certainly yield trates, and thats a problem you don't want to battle...

Benamayer said:
No clue why your PH would rise?? But.. I WOULD do at least a 10% PWC to bring the trates down. Especially since you added stock, the ammonia they will release will certainly yield trates, and thats a problem you don't want to battle...

Nah I definitely hear ya.. I might do a little water change before bed

Check that, salinity is at 1.026.. how long should I wait after the water change to retest everything??

Okay so I tested my water again after the WC
HR pH 8.0
Ammo .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Salinity 1.026
I'll have to bring down the salinity but that probably won't b until Monday.

I guess the the pH was just a bad test yesterday (8.4)..

Back
Top Bottom