Frehwater puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a new 36 gallon bow-front tank. My dad is wanting some kind of puffer but for some reason I feel like they're probably difficult. Are they? I don't really want one but at the same time, I don't know what I do want. Info?

The only freshwater puffer is the dwarf pea puffer, they only get to about an inch inch and a half in size but they are very fun to watch. As for taking care of them IMO not to bad I have had 2 in a 10 gallon for almost a year. They need lots of hiding places preferably live plants but I used to keep them in an all fake tank and they were fine. They need to be basically species only they don't seem to bother bottom feeders too much however. They will not eat freeze dried food so I feed only frozen blood worms but you shouldn't feed to much because sometimes they will eat till they explode, they are very dirty fish however needing 1-2 50% pwcs a week after established. Make sure to have some caves for them too. Any questions ask away, that's why we're here.

This is my second tank the first one is semi planted but this one is going to be fully planted. Considering it would be best by itself, I'd rather not get one. My dad is showing me all kinds of pictures saying "look, avocado puffer, green spotted puffer, blah blah blah it's freshwater see the site says so blah blah blah"

The dwarf puffer is the most common freshwater puffer. It's not that difficult, but they need to be in a species specific tank. Ottos and ghost shrimp the most common tankmates, but shrimp sometimes end up as dinner. They need a well decorated aquarium, fake plants or real is up to you. Typically people put dwarf puffers in smaller aquariums, 15g-30g.

You don't want too many puffers in one tank, 2 females per male ratio and at least 5g per puffer in a properly decorated aquarium.

The dwarf puffer is very intelligent fish, gets to know it's owner. They are carnivores and usually preffer live foods but with proper training techniques they can often be trained to eat dead worms and shrimp etc.

If this intrigues you, do your research. Dwarf Puffers : Home is a good resource.

Last edited:
That's not correct. There are a variety of FW puffers. They'res Congo, Red Eye, Red Tailed, Mbu, Bronze, Fahaka, etc. The list goes on and on.

I knew there was at least three. Some of them get quite large. Just make sure you do your research as some brackish water puffers are sold as freshwater by some vendors.

That's not correct. There are a variety of FW puffers. They'res Congo, Red Eye, Red Tailed, Mbu, Bronze, Fahaka, etc. The list goes on and on.

Most of those need brackish water as they mature. The South American puffer (Colomesus Asellus) is FW for life, but they get too large for a 36G and prefer to be in a group.

Most of those need brackish water as they mature. The South American puffer (Colomesus Asellus) is FW for life, but they get too large for a 36G and prefer to be in a group.

No they don't, only Figure 8's and Green Spotted puffers do.

I believe the Congo fish is a freshwater species as well, grows about half a foot. It's listed as difficult to care for. It's not a very active fish and likes to bury itself in sand. If introduced into estabilshed aquarium with bigger fish (such as angels) and provided with a healthy supply of live foods to eat, it will live happily with other tank mates.

I'm mostly looking for cons to be quite honest, because I really don't want a species only tank, I'm not interested in them enough for all that. My dad is old fashioned about fish keeping, when he was young (mid 60's) they tried to keep everything from angels and goldfish to piranhas and seahorses. Nothing lived long. So yea.

Here's a con, puffers have teeth that grow like rabbits, so you have to constantly give them snails, clams, or stuff that has a hard shell for them to wear down there teeth. A pro though is nothing has a personality like a puffer.

Alright, from what I've learned there are only 3 truely freshwater puffers. One of them is too big for your tank, and the other two would kill the other fish you want to add.

Deep Seven said:
Alright, from what I've learned there are only 3 truely freshwater puffers. One of them is too big for your tank, and the other two would kill the other fish you want to add.

That's what I thought too but he Didn't. Maybe now he will. My other tank is a community and I like that.

On another note, (I may need to make a new thread for this) anybody have suggestions for the tanks stock? I like gouramis but I know they're semi aggressive and need salt right?

Alright, from what I've learned there are only 3 truely freshwater puffers. One of them is too big for your tank, and they other two would kill the other fish you want to add.

Only 3 puffers that are FW is untrue! There is a lot of misinformation on puffers. The family Carinotetraodon, which the dwarf puffer is part of, are all FW and will fit in 20g. My favorite is Carinotetraodon irrubesco, red eyed red tailed and mines full grown at a little under 2 inches.

Another solution, tell your dad he needs to get a smaller tank and set up a 15g planted tank with a small school of ottos, and a male dwarf puffer with 2 female dwarf puffers, then everyone wins :)

Deep Seven said:
Another solution, tell your dad he needs to get a smaller tank and set up a 15g planted tank with a small school of ottos, and a male dwarf puffer with 2 female dwarf puffers, then everyone wins :)

We just bought this 36 gallon, we don't have enough for a third tank. I'm the one who does the tank stuff anyway, he just likes to look lol.

There are at least a dozen different kinds of freshwater puffers. Then there are 4-6 different kinds of brackish water puffers. The care for certain kinds of puffer varies. It greatly depends on what you want. Name a puffer and i can tell you the specifics.

I suggest you get fish that you like because you seem to be the one who is caring for them.

Back
Top Bottom