Fresh2o’s 29g Blackwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Until a few days ago I’d never heard of Australian Eucalyptus Root. When I soaked it initially in a tub it discolored the water but so far it’s been behaving. I am still open to possibly changing its position. As soon as it gets water logged it will be easier to move around (without the stone as weight).

After dinner I sat down to watch the tank (don’t we all?) and noticed the water level a little lower than earlier. A saw a small pool of water near the trash bin that houses the canister filter. Opened the bin to discover water inside. Disappointed that the trash bin was not water tight (otherwise I would have put the filter in a 5g bucket). More disappointed in the filter. I removed it, took off the lid, wiped down the seal, replaced the lid, and tilted it. Leaking. Repeated the process. Still leaking. Yes, this is a Sun Sun (I can hear the “I told you so”s). Had it about one year. No issues prior to this
Thankfully PetCo was still open. Picked up an AC50. I know it is a bit undersized but I plan on adding another from one of the shrimp tanks.

Ahhh bugger! I’ve heard they are prone to leaking [emoji20] I’ve got one on my 90g that’s holding up alright so far. I’ve also heard it has something to do with the locking arms that causes them to leak. My friend taped all around his and it sealed fine after that. You can also put vasoline around the rubber seal to fix it [emoji106] I guess there isn’t much need to a canister on this new tank due to not diffusing co2 etc. hobs will certainly be easier to maintain and clean [emoji106]

Looking forward to the new setup! Hope to see you back in the plant scene soon [emoji16][emoji106]

What! Your trash bin let you down. Sounds like you need a new o ring.

Trash can is going in the garage (too big for a home office).
Probably a new O-ring would fix this. However, I plan on taking the filter apart, cleaning it and putting away. Even if i order a new o-ring there is the potential to leak. That would be fine on a lower level floor on tile or concrete. But this is in an upper level with bamboo flooring.

I think it is 'funny' that when they work everyone says canisters are great ,but once an error has occurred there seems to be a 'black cloud' over them...I used canisters decades ago and have never really thought about using one again..They are nice and neat and quiet when they operate correctly ,and like having a leaker tank in your living room when they don't...I can't even imagine if I had to service as many canisters as I have HOBs..
Never mind trying to just keep an eye on them for leaks...That would make this hobby and my fish room NO FUN ANYMORE for me !

I have hardwood floors. I’ve had o rings in need of replacement which I discovered due to a leak. But the container I keep them in never let me down so far. I guess from what I’d read. I planned on them leaking and always kept them in something to contain the water. My nightmare will be when a tank leaks. I know it will happen someday.

Perfect fishroom features (for me) would include a concrete or tile floor and floor drain. A leaking canister would not be a big deal there.
My favorite canister was the old MarineLand Magnum 330. Bottom mounted air cooled motor, quick disconnects, DE filter option. Disconnect the hoses and lift the body off the motor assembly using the convenient handle. Did not have to unplug it. Never had issues with the seal; used it through the 80s and 90s.
I emptied the media and connected the Sun Sun to a bucket with a hot bleach solution. Ran that for a few hours and rinsed thoroughly. It did not leak at all until I tilted it past 90 degrees. I inspected the seal and it was smooth throughout except for one patch that looked like a bald spot on a tire. Could that be the issue? I’m going to put this in storage for now.

Last edited:
Quick peek at the tank. I moved one of the desktop LEDs from my shrimp tank to the new tank. This is the effect I want to see a few hours before lights out.
qyiH2Ty.jpg

I pinched one of mine when I was impatient putting it together. Any imperfection might lead to a leak. The silicon lube helps a bit but won’t solve a problem if it’s too deep.

If you are happy with HOB’s then it sounds like the way to go.

I would love to have a room where I didn’t have to think about leaks.

The day it happens is the day my spouse might put me in tank time out.

I still have 2 of my Marineland 330s in the fish attic ! Are we both that old ?:whistle:
Their features were nice..Could have clipped together better IMO ..
And yes to concrete and a drain...I have concrete and wall to wall..No drain so....
Tank looks good....(y)

I'm fine with HOBs. Easier maintenance often leads to more frequent maintenance.
Yes, we are that old. Glass wool and slate bottom steel framed tanks. Vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quick peek at the tank. I moved one of the desktop LEDs from my shrimp tank to the new tank. This is the effect I want to see a few hours before lights out.
qyiH2Ty.jpg

I like what you’ve been up to! Very natural. Plus, you have more room for fish!

Are you planning to add a few more fish?

Most definitely. I want to get a few more things into the tank such as leaf litter and maybe more DW. I ordered 50 IAL/catappa leaves and some new LED spot lights. Should be here next week. I’m adjusting the HOB filter outlet so that the leaf litter does not get pushed to the rear of the tank.
Still deciding if I want to go with South American (more Tetras, Pygmy Corys) or go with Southeast Asian (kuhlis, rasboras). Wife mentioned cichlids so I’m guessing she means Apistos. Decisions, decisions. I’m not in a hurry though.

^^ that's funny. Probably couldn't go wrong with either, but seems like apistos would go nicely in that tank. (Looking good btw)

I like what you’ve been up to! Very natural. Plus, you have more room for fish!

Pic from last night. Lots of room.
T331jL4.jpg
Going for a leaf litter bottom similar to this: IMG_5323.jpg

Just me but I think your wife meant German Blue Rams when she said cichlids !:angel:

What do I know ?:nono:

I think the only cichlids she is familiar with are old world. I don’t want to encourage her ?
Keeping GBRs means I would have to pay attention to water quality. Plants are surprisingly forgiving. Big curve for me.
^^ that's funny. Probably couldn't go wrong with either, but seems like apistos would go nicely in that tank. (Looking good btw)

It is funny.
I did a search on blackwater and apistos and I’m getting the impression it is not a good combo. I think I’m leaning toward a large school of nano fish for effect.

Apistos would love that tank but like the GBR would probably have a field day whipping the smaller tetras..Most dithers for Apisto are good sized or very fast...
I like the floor covered with all the leaves..
You are going to use other leaves then just IAL ?
I would think that many IAL would make water for few fish...

Currently there are a few sycamore leaves in there. I heard maple leaves are good. I have 4 mature maple trees on my property but, anal as was this fall, there is not a leaf to be found. Oak is another good choice but I cannot find any near me. I did go to the nearby woods and collected a bag of various leaves. I think I need to ID them before I put them in. The IAL were are a safe bet. However, they are quite potent, tannin-wise.

I believe they will actually lower your ph and gh also ,so too many of them may make very acid water..
I use maple and oak in abundance without issue...
I have a garbage can of maple leaves if you want some..That is all the leaves I picked up this year !

Back
Top Bottom