Fresh2o’s 29g Blackwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ll be watching those Corydoras very closely. I’ve thought about getting some for my tank for quite some time, but I haven’t jumped on it. This tank will suit their natural habitat very nicely.

Update on the corys: It’s been not quite two days and I can see 4 dead in the QT. Going to test the parameters just in case. None of the fish are actively feeding, though some of the food is gone when I check on it later. Food has consisted of various micro pellets, bits of wafers, and flakes. I do recall that after I got them settled in the QT that some of them never colored up; stayed pale. I got them from the shop within an hour or so of unboxing. When bagging them up, the shop keeper noticed one of them “spiraling”. I asked what that and she said something to do with a swim bladder disorder. That fish was removed from the bag.
Going to remove the dead ones and continue to monitor this. I suppose it is better that this is occurring in here than in the main tank.

Sad news. That they aren’t feeding is really odd. The tank look like it has lots of cover to keep them from being nervous too???

Yes, it is odd. I’ve kept Corydoras before and feeding was never a concern. Then again, these are more like Cory juveniles. There is a group of them that migrate from one section to another from time to time. About the die offs, I’m wondering if this was something out of my control and would have happened in the shop.
When I remove the dead ones I will siphon out the uneaten food. Hard to tell what they’ve eaten as there are hungry ramshorns in there as well.
Tank parameters (noting it here for later):
pH 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, GH 9, KH 4, TDS 230

Dead fish removed. Note the hemorrhaging just behind the gills. Any clue what this can be? I might contact the LFS and describe what I am seeing. I bought the entire shipment minus one so really nothing for them to compare this batch to. I think they have some type of live guarantee policy.
tmFjufh.jpg
VxK3xhs.jpg

They look septic to me. Internal bacteria and stress from shipping.

I spoke with one of the LFS folks and she said it could be stress from transit. The owner feels it was the lack of live foods upon introduction to the QT. I explained that several of the fish were listless even after a day. The total was 8 dead. Turns out that they have a 48 hours guarantee (did not know that) and refunded me in store livestock credit. I will save this for a rainy day.
I bought a bag of brine shrimp and a 5g jug of RO (could be RODI). Several hours later I still see some brunch shrimp swimming around in the QT. I really can’t tell if they are eating them.
The fish in my main tank are weird. I gave them live brine shrimp and they would mouth them several times but not eat them. I also fed some frozen daphnia to both tank but were not well received. It could be due to it being old (looked like some freezer burn as well). Going to chuck that and get more from the LFS or big box store. Going to look for frozen BBS as well.
I would like to get an RODI setup but finding a place to set it up is a challenge. If my laundry room had room for a utility tub then I that would be ideal. So I will buy it for now. It’s for top offs.

The pictures do make the cories look septic.
I believe cories excrete a toxin when shocked and often in transit.
They can actually kill each other or themselves with this...
I would suspect this over ammonia as I am sure this is not the shippers first bag nor the LFS..I met a cory breeder at a convention who spoke directly to this and some techinique he used to avoid or reduce its potency..I have heard some say they actually agitate and try to get the cory to excrete the toxin before they bag it !
Glad the LFS stood behind their sale.

Interesting observations on the transit induced toxin. Though I agree with the LFS manager about the importance of live food, the hemorrhaging observed is not from starvation.
The remaining fish appear to be fine except for one. It hovered in mid water and then went to the surface for a gulp of air as Corydoras do, and then literally froze and sank to the bottom. Zero movement. Coloration is pale and some pinkish bruising along the torso/belly. That leaves me with 16 which is still a good size group. Hoping this is the last one. I do have enough store credit to get 8 more in the future. Not sure if I will spend it on these or on Ember tetras. There was a group of Emerald Eye rasboras calling my name, however, I and TRYING to keep this South American.

I had a problem when I got my tiny Pygmy Cories too. Sounds the same spiraling too and death. My couple remaining are fine months later.

Part of me thought of letting them sit in the shop for a few days to shake things out. Even at the time of purchase one was spiraling in the specimen container and was removed. On the other hand, I did not want them all sold off either. The other choice for benthic species was kuhli loaches but I don’t see them in the shop too often. I think they would have been fine on sand with abundant leaf litter.
Found 3 more dead (after the initial 8). With so many hiding spaces in the QT it is difficult to get a head count. Should be 14 left. Most of them are actively swimming in pairs or small groups. Hovering and glass surfing. Some are just sitting there: resting or eventual death? I was incorrect about assuming the pale ones were dying; some of the active ones are pale as well.
Going to feed some live brine shrimp this morning and get more frozen food later today.
I would post a video but I need to find a new app that posts to YouTube. The Capture iOS app has not been updated to the latest iOS version.

CB - Stephanie/EggFishHead mentioned several Corydoras species that are notorious for fluke infestations, including pygmaeus. Couple that with the stress of shipping, it will take a toll on the immune system, opening them up to other issues.

The surviving Corydoras are active and feeding well. Live brine shrimp, frozen bbs, flakes, micro pellets. I should have 12-13 left but it is more like 8-10 (they hide well). Hoping that by the end of the week I’m moving them into the DT.

CB - Stephanie/EggFishHead mentioned several Corydoras species that are notorious for fluke infestations, including pygmaeus. Couple that with the stress of shipping, it will take a toll on the immune system, opening them up to other issues.

I just missed a swap meet that was at Staphanies local club.. I was looking forward to talking with her..She knows her stuff so would not dis agree with her without cause..It was the same day Rich came to visit and video my film room so it was a tough choice but I hope there will be another auction next year .
Have you treated the tank at all for flukes?

I just missed a swap meet that was at Staphanies local club.. I was looking forward to talking with her..She knows her stuff so would not dis agree with her without cause..It was the same day Rich came to visit and video my film room so it was a tough choice but I hope there will be another auction next year .
Have you treated the tank at all for flukes?

Yep, she knows her stuff.
Have not treated the tank yet. I did notice one fish flashing the other day. She mentioned PraziPro as something she has on hand for cases like this. Here is one of her responses when I described the situation:
“...Most deaths I have with cories are: pygmaeus, habrosus, panda, weitzmani, elegans, lasers, black schultzei, scleromystax and if they are WC and have horrible fluke infestations that usually knocks them down.
Once their immunity is compromised and they're being bagged and shipped it makes it tough.”

I found PraziPro on Amazon and I can get it here in two days. Despite temptation to put them in the DT, I can keep them in QT for a while longer. At least it is easier to monitor their food intake in a bare bottom tank.

Update on the tank: Water has cleared up despite adding more leaves to the tank. Bacterial bloom has subsided. Tank still looks sparse.
kYdWibO.jpg
Some closeup shots
hW8lCnT.jpg
9bbctW3.jpg
A bit of subwassertang in the hole at the trunk of the DW
DD6KSjd.jpg

New shell growth on snails looks much better than when they were in the high tech setup:
e9wKshw.jpg

QT Update: Dosed PriaziPro on Sunday. At best 5-7 of the 25 are a symptomatic, active, feeding well and will make it to the DT; 8 died in the first 48 hours; another 4 died the following day; no deaths for 6 days; 3 in the last few days. Some darkened with characteristic markings in the first few days; some never colored up (and either died quickly or will eventually).
I still have $20 in store credit for future purchases. Perhaps buying them on delivery day was not ideal. If I get more I will see if they can be held a few days prior to pickup.
Second guessing myself on this but pygmies in general was something I wanted to try. Kuhli loaches were a strong second choice.

I think you definitely got a batch way too stressed from shipping. It’s heartbreaking to watch this happen in your tank.

Are there specific leaves that will help darken the water for you more? I could send you some magnolia. They are thick and do not dissolve quickly.

Back
Top Bottom