FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pom Pom snails are cute! Lol

Not you, too [emoji54]

I trimmed the carpet. I had to siphon the snails off first (otherwise, crunch crunch). Was going for the putting green look. Cleanup is never fun. I might chill on redoing the plants on the hill. Lots of non-aquarium stuff on the docket today.
qHYKHTa.jpg

Hear that?
That's that's the sound of me tearing patches of HC Cuba out of the substrate.
RDDc3Ej.jpg
I planted a row of Staurogyne repens in its place:
6TWFJEN.jpg
Here is an arial view of the hill. Staur repens are are the base of the stones. The HC carpet is extended up the slope:
Qi1jwJJ.jpg
A before and after shot:
4fALBUI.jpg
Finally, the FTS:
1aak7fh.jpg

Also, I caved in and moved the new Ember tetras from QT to DT after a 1 hour drip. They were pasty and skittish at first but have colored up nicely over night. Actively feeding. So much movement in the tank (not used to that). Pics later.

Currently I run a Finnex 24/7 and Planted+ on there. 24/7 in 24/7 mode and the Planted+ plus for about 3 hours.
Not sure how HC Cuba would do at that height (18"). I have only grown it in medium to medium-high lighting. CO2 plays an important role in its success. You might be pushing the extent of DIY CO2 in that tank. Will you be setting up a yeast based or citric acid based system? When I did DIY CO2, I simply piped the large bubbles into the HOB filter intake. NOT the most efficient method. If I had a canister at the time, I would build a reactor to get the most out of gas (100% absorption).
I would try Glosso or maybe Monte Carlo first and see how it goes.

Running a yeast based diy CO2. Just set it up yesterday. Using two 2L bottles for CO2 production and a third bottle as a bubble counter.

Here's a pic of the setup
IMG_4188.jpg

Unfortunately, I think my yeast is bad or I didn't activate it well enough because I'm only getting about 2 bubbles a MINUTE. I will make a new concoction next time I have the chance. On the good side, it appears that I have no leaks and everything else is working as it should. What formula did you use when you had diy CO2 and how did you activate the yeast? Also what type of yeast did you use?

Running a yeast based diy CO2. Just set it up yesterday. Using two 2L bottles for CO2 production and a third bottle as a bubble counter.

Here's a pic of the setup
View attachment 294804

Unfortunately, I think my yeast is bad or I didn't activate it well enough because I'm only getting about 2 bubbles a MINUTE. I will make a new concoction next time I have the chance. On the good side, it appears that I have no leaks and everything else is working as it should. What formula did you use when you had diy CO2 and how did you activate the yeast? Also what type of yeast did you use?

I had to pull the following from 8/8/2015, post #1796:
Okay.
For a two liter bottle I use 2 cups of sugar and 0.5 tsp of yeast. I first mix ~1.8L of warm water and sugar. I then pour about 0.5 cup of the water-sugar solution into a microwavable cup. I microwave it for about 20-30 seconds (this will vary). I take a kitchen thermometer and adjust (or wait) until the temp is between 105-115 F and then stir in the yeast. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes (it should get a little foamy) and then add it to the rest of the solution. The solution lasts about two weeks. I used this recipe for about a year on my 20 long before I went pressurized.
I've seen other setups where an incandescent bulb was placed near the solution to provide heat. Room temp has worked with the recipe I've used.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As for the type of yeast, it's the granular stuff in a jar (I think RED STAR is the brand). I've used the Fleishmans packets as well. When it's to make up a new batch I pour out almost all of the contents of the bottle but leave a bit of the clumpy material at the bottom. Not sure why, figuring there is some good yeast that can be passed to the next mix. I was getting about 1 bubble every 2-3 second if I recall.
In your setup you may consider adding two more check valves. Place them between the CO2 generator and the Tee connector. This will allow you to disconnect one of the bottles (to swap out the mix) without depressurizing the system.

I had to pull the following from 8/8/2015, post #1796:

As for the type of yeast, it's the granular stuff in a jar (I think RED STAR is the brand). I've used the Fleishmans packets as well. When it's to make up a new batch I pour out almost all of the contents of the bottle but leave a bit of the clumpy material at the bottom. Not sure why, figuring there is some good yeast that can be passed to the next mix. I was getting about 1 bubble every 2-3 second if I recall.
In your setup you may consider adding two more check valves. Place them between the CO2 generator and the Tee connector. This will allow you to disconnect one of the bottles (to swap out the mix) without depressurizing the system.

Sounds good. I'm using red star yeast as well. Good news today- CO2 production has increased and its now making about one bubble every 4-5 seconds. Now I just need to figure out how to get the end of my output hose inside the intake of my HOB filter. Currently I have if stuffed inside of a filter pad in the filter and I doubt it's doing much as far as dissolving CO2. At this point I'm just happy that there appears to be no leaks and CO2 is being produced.

Hey fresh hope the tanks going well! Need some advice on my AR mini. All the top leaves are stuffed due to my recent toxicity issue.

Can I just cut the tops off close to the substrate level and let them regrow or will they die? Am I better off cutting off all the curled leafs and leaving them at full height?

Hey fresh hope the tanks going well! Need some advice on my AR mini. All the top leaves are stuffed due to my recent toxicity issue.

Can I just cut the tops off close to the substrate level and let them regrow or will they die? Am I better off cutting off all the curled leafs and leaving them at full height?

Going through the same thing with my AR mini. At least 1-2 crowns have curled leaves. You could lop off the stunted section and see if new sprouts appear. As for the stunted piece, room permitting, you could try to replant it and see how it does.

Going through the same thing with my AR mini. At least 1-2 crowns have curled leaves. You could lop off the stunted section and see if new sprouts appear. As for the stunted piece, room permitting, you could try to replant it and see how it does.

Since ceasing micros my new AR leaves are pink again but the very edges are dark and the leaves are not quite perfectly formed.

Boron? Uptake is poor and translocation is slow. Some plants need constant small amounts. I've never grown AR. Imo boron would be one of the essential micros.

8 Week Tank Update:
Not much new with this build. Might be due for a carpet trim. Algae in carpet still present; not as bad though. BBA has be reduced for the most part through daily additions of glut. Unfortunately, pretty sure this killed off the 5 RCS that were in here. Amano is fine. Double dosing macros and 1/4 dosing micros. Tetras are active and feeding well.
Normal lighting at 9 PM:
8DUqVOq.jpg
Second fixture on:
ZtMNALP.jpg
Closer pic of fish, carpet, and diffuser
Usuy52e.jpg

Do you think the RCS just never adjusted to it? I always thought glut knocked off pond snails over time.
I have concerns over glut and shrimp. I know tons say there no issues. What I want to know is what other parameters and factors make glut more or less effective. I have yet to see it show any evidence that its helped my plants at recommended rates yet no algae so I dose away lol. What orher factors make glut more/less effective or possibly detrimental to fauna/inverts. Guess after tds research is complete its my next research topic to pass the time lol

I have concerns over glut and shrimp. I know tons say there no issues. What I want to know is what other parameters and factors make glut more or less effective. I have yet to see it show any evidence that its helped my plants at recommended rates yet no algae so I dose away lol. What orher factors make glut more/less effective or possibly detrimental to fauna/inverts. Guess after tds research is complete its my next research topic to pass the time lol

I think there is a ph relationship to toxicity - I've got to check that though.

Back
Top Bottom