FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man now that thing is really visible. Get that algae back on there! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great. I think the reflective surface was to reflect the surroundings to help it blend in. The same concept of camouflage the Predator creature used in the Predator movie series. It is shiny.
I believe I can sink this down behind the pogo and AR.

Waiting for someone to mention the HOB intake tubes...*fingers tapping*

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great. I think the reflective surface was to reflect the surroundings to help it blend in. The same concept of camouflage the Predator creature used in the Predator movie series. It is shiny.
I believe I can sink this down behind the pogo and AR.

Waiting for someone to mention the HOB intake tubes...*fingers tapping*

I hope you dont think i was being critical Fresh!

It was only said in a jokey way. I like how your tank looks

This plant was not difficult. It does require ample spacing (which I am not providing at the moment). Otherwise, the bottom parts of the plant lose the nice color, shed leaves, and collect algae. It was shipped as a submerged plant so the transition was pretty easy.
It's neighbor, Pogostemon erectus, was grown emersed and suffered an 80-90% die off during the transition. Only 1" stubs of green growth survived. After 5 months they have taken over the back of my tank.

Awesome. I can't wait to get some of my own!

I hope you dont think i was being critical Fresh!

It was only said in a jokey way. I like how your tank looks

Well, if you were going to say it, then Brookster would. No big deal :) just as if you told me my shoes were not tied
I actually siphoned a patch of similar algae along the back wall. Did not see it until after a big trim.
I may take out the HOB intakes and give them a good cleaning.

I would never throw rocks at your glass tank before I threw rocks at my own! In your house... with my rocks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would never throw rocks at your glass tank before I threw rocks at my own! In your house... with my rocks..

Of course not. Just kidding! I hope you know that.
Without feedback (real, make believe, serious, funny) from AA my tank would not have evolved. I found a pic from 11/20/2012. Single T-8, EcoComplete, moss covered rocks and a banana plant.
qIbcO9O.jpg

Of course not. Just kidding! I hope you know that.
Without feedback (real, make believe, serious, funny) from AA my tank would not have evolved. I found a pic from 11/20/2012. Single T-8, EcoComplete, moss covered rocks and a banana plant.
qIbcO9O.jpg

The "No Fishing" sign made a nice touch ?. Before I joined AA, I had a pirate ship in my tank... horrid memories

The "No Fishing" sign made a nice touch ?. Before I joined AA, I had a pirate ship in my tank... horrid memories

Wife's idea. She suggested a Sponge Bob Square Pants theme shortly after this pic was taken. We no longer go to pet stores together.
Pirate ship. Argh.

Wife's idea. She suggested a Sponge Bob Square Pants theme shortly after this pic was taken. We no longer go to pet stores together.
Pirate ship. Argh.

Haha! Yeah, I think everyone on here has gone through an "awkward aquarium phase." My tank used to be composed of pirates ships, fake plants (barf!), treasure chests, etc. I think Brookster used to have a Spongebob tank.

I had the pink and blue gravel in a 1 gallon tank, UGF, fake plant, and 5 neons...never did a pwc and dont remember cycling it either

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Late Sunday update: Removed some pogo and Downoi, cleaned the filter intakes and drop checker, trimmed leaves with BBA, removed stray moss and bladderwort, and even scraped the algae that collects where the glass meets the substrate.
Now the OCD (overly critical demon) in me just noticed that the grouping of Rotala wallichii is almost exactly behind the AR mini. The red-on-red really goes against the red-green contrast theme I was going for. (Yes, I hear the world's tiniest violin playing).
Enough whining, here are some before and after pics:
ldBCm19.png
WSKbIQs.png

Last edited:
Looks great! Tank looks really neat n clean...I dig the colors..

Thanks! I was on an insane cleaning binge last night. And when I was done with the tank, I cleaned the kitchen, too. I was on fire.
How do you think Limnophilia would look in there?

Plant peeps! Question: I have a new (to me) type of algae on the flat leaves of some of my plants (star repens, AR mini) and I'd like to know what it is and how to take care of it. Here is a pic:
4bsYVxy.png

Fine, green, short (3-4 mm) hair like algae. Appeared about 1-2 weeks ago. On all but the actively growing leaves. No changes in the light or CO2 schedule. I use a modified PPS-Pro regimen; no nitrates and extra phosphate. I will test nitrate and phosphate levels tomorrow. Generally at 10-20 and 5-10 ppm, respectively. My glut solution ran out and I skipped daily glut for a week or two. Resumed yesterday.
Along with the mystery algae, there was quite a bit of BBA on the older leaves. I trimmed those leaves. And some cyano is appearing here and there. It comes off easily during water changes.
Most disturbing is a few translucent spots on the star repens. Other folks with star repens have reported this as well. It's only in a few areas but I want to nip it in the bud. I had planned to do a big star repens harvest this month but that may have to wait until I get this under control. I may reduce the light schedule to see if this helps.

I have the same stuff. Pain in the butt but I don't know what it is either :(

Meese

Ouch.. BGA and mystery green hair algae. I don't have any in my tank now, but it did exist at one point. Hope that didn't come from the blyxa, hidden as microscopic spores or something! Are your amanos eating the hair algae at least? The bga can be killed with h2o2 spot treat or some maracyn.

I get that too fresh. . Along with 15 other shapes, sizes and colors. Hit it with peroxide?? I'm getting this green thread stuff on the walichi in the high flow areas..thoughts?

Fresh, this looks like exactly what i went through, whats your CO2 look like?

Back
Top Bottom