FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fresh if I make the diffuser out of the balsa wood I will let you know how it goes. Are you following my build? I will post the report there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Fluval DC is faint greenish yellow and the glass DC is lime green. The short hair algae on the star repens is much longer. On the bright side, the new leaves are algae free. All of the BBA has turned pink, white, gray, and blue. I am dosing 20-25 mL half strength glut daily.
Looking a rearranging the contents of the cabinet.
Anyone with a sunsun 304B, what are the dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Where did you get your dc fluid from? I made a batch but I think I messed it up. No color changing going on.

Brookster has a sunsun!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Where did you get your dc fluid from? I made a batch but I think I messed it up. No color changing going on.

Brookster has a sunsun!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For the Fluval DC I use the fluid that came with it.
For the other DC, I got it from Bookster. Filled the sphere about halfway and added 3-4 drops of pH test reagent.

Fresh, i got my dc to almost yellow last night! Rather exciting! I run a 304b on the 30 and a 302 on the 20t. I had to drill out the 304 spray bar as the flow was insane. On a 20l, I'd have to recommend the 302, you'll probably still want to tinker with the spray bar.. leave one of those ac ' s running or are you looking to lose them both?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The head is about the widest part at 12"x12" , The hight to the tallest part which is the primer is 18 1/2" .....

Thanks. I have a shelf suspended with the little shelf tabs. I plan on cutting the shelf in half and using a shelf "L" bracket in the middle of the cabinet. I think the backboard is only 1/4" thick. I may have to put a 1x2 strip of wood along backboard to strengthen it.

Fresh, i got my dc to almost yellow last night! Rather exciting! I run a 304b on the 30 and a 302 on the 20t. I had to drill out the 304 spray bar as the flow was insane. On a 20l, I'd have to recommend the 302, you'll probably still want to tinker with the spray bar.. leave one of those ac ' s running or are you looking to lose them both?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as the fish aren't gasping then it should be fine. Hopefully this will lead to better plants growth or at least a decrease in algae occurrences.
So you think the 302 is a better choice for the 20 long? I was planning on using a reactor (not sure how much this will decrease the flow rate) and NOT have to use either AC50 if possible. I was thinking that the 304B would be a bit much. That's why I asked. Then again, the dual AC50s push between 300-400 gph combined.
You reamed out the holes on the spraybar to less the force? I may have to do that. I think I still have the intake and returns from an old Magnum 350 canister. It has the duckbill style return. I might use that if the tubing diameter matches.

I used my Magnum 350 output on my fluval setup. It uses a 5/8 inner diameter tube.

I used my Magnum 350 output on my fluval setup. It uses a 5/8 inner diameter tube.

Thanks Ryan. I just looked up the sunsun specs and the hoses appear to be 5/8" ID.

I can tell ya the 304b is heavy when its filled with water, plumb in a pvc ball valve after your reactor to have total flow control....

I can tell ya the 304b is heavy when its filled with water, plumb in a pvc ball valve after your reactor to have total flow control....

Wouldn't you want the control valve after pump and before reactor? That way you can control flow inside the reactor to help with dissolving the co2.

I think plumbing it in after the reactor would be a little more beneficial. By cutting the flow there it would add pressure , be it very little , to the reactor helping to dissolve more co2. And if you ever had to clean the reactor or do something to it you could cut the it off to prevent back siphon...

Thanks for the details and plumbing considerations. This may go on hold for a bit (more later).
I added new Fluval fluid in the Fluval DC this evening. A few hours later, even after the CO2 stopped, you can see it starting to change:
5jyCobx.png

I think the SunSun (or pretty much any canister) is going to be too big for the cabinet (inside from front to back only 9"). I could set the canister to the side of the tank but the CO2 rig is already there. I've come to realize...
02intXC.png

Time to start drafting the design. My wife's concern is what it will look like (ghetto). I plan on using cabinet doors that came from the existing cabinets in that room (she calls it the office; I call it the fish room). I can certainly stain and finish the stand to match the doors. But this might not go down until the new year.
FTS. Nothing different except the AR mini was trimmed and replanted. I removed most of the star repens leaves that had hair/string algae on them. Star repens looking better but not nice enough to sell (yet).
WQHlVC3.png

Since adding KN03 I have gotten a bunch of new growth. I am waiting to see if it melts or not yet... Did you notice if they stopped melting?

Since adding KN03 I have gotten a bunch of new growth. I am waiting to see if it melts or not yet... Did you notice if they stopped melting?

The melt in my case was only limited to a few leaves. It's the hair algae that makes me think that the plant health is subpar. I trimmed off leaves that had algae for the star repens and AR mini. The newer leaves are algae free. Second or third day since dosing nitrate; will test in the next day or two or whenever the test kit arrives to see where I am at.
There is some new growth in the stars but not sure if it is due to nitrate (too soon?) or increased CO2.

Add more Phosphate. I have noticed it really helps in my tank. I add ...a lot...seen a big reduction in GSA on the plants..still get a small amount on the glass. But not like it was..

Back
Top Bottom