FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the moving plan...will miss seeing the limno though. The blyxa will free a ton of space for maybe for some monte carlo.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pogo is a corner plant imo. Takes away from the flow... i get hungry at my lfs too.. what's up with that? Need a snack machine in there or something..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I went back to the LFS just before closing time. Returned some DW I was not going to use. They did not have any embers so picked up 3 Amano shrimp and 8 CPDs!
Or so I thought....
All of the fish in the tank that had CPDs were about the same size and looked washed out on account of the white substrate. When I got home and floated the bags in the QT, to my surprise I find 4 CPDs, a few unidentified fry (guppies?), and 4 what appear to be sparkling gouramis.
UaR0Cxx.png
Sorry for the poor bag pic. I am going to call the LFS tomorrow to confirm this. I am also going to explain what I found.
What should I do? Return them? I'd have to wait until more CPDs arrive as I bought everything in that tank. It appears that sparkling Gouramis are the petite members of their group. How would they do in my semi-nano setup?
Going to start drip acclimating now...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love them, but I've heard that they group up and stalk shrimp. They're also reputed to be little bullies when they breed, but I have seen them in community setups with other smaller fish like CPDs. I don't have direct experience with them...I thought they had pretty strict water temp and ph needs but I could be wrong. They croak too :) I nixed them from my stock list because of the shrimp thing.

Thanks for the feedback and info in the sparkling gourami. I would not want them harassing the embers and other fish. The spiky pelvic fins and pronounced anal fin threw me off as I was preparing to acclimate then. Definitely anabantoid of some type.
Yeah, I will call the LFS tomorrow and see if I can return them and get a refund.
Also, my CO2 tank has zero psi. I sure there still something in there for at least a day or more but it's refill time.

Didn't you refill it 2 months ago?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep. Around the holidays. I have been running a higher bps lately so that is probably why it's running low now. Another reason why I would switch to a canister so that I can run a CO2 reactor and go with a low bps (1-2) and still have effective diffusion.

Talk about getting swindled. I would take back the Gouramis, wait until 4 CPDs came in and demand a sweet discount for your troubles.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Otos are pretty much all wild caught, right? I wonder if that has something to do with their "sensitive" nature? Maybe the secret is an extra long quarantine with plenty of anti-worming and parasite treatments. Although that's always a double edged sword since you never know how the fish will react to medication.

Actually I heard that it's due to their catching methods. So basically, yes.

Apparently they put arsenic in their rivers to stun them and catch them as they float downstream. :eek:

This probably kills 1/2 of the ones harvested, as well as another 1/2 that make it to the pet store.

I started off with 4, didn't acclimate them all that well though. I lost one the first week, another the first month, and a third about a year later. I only have one left, but he/she is still going strong.

Yep. Around the holidays. I have been running a higher bps lately so that is probably why it's running low now. Another reason why I would switch to a canister so that I can run a CO2 reactor and go with a low bps (1-2) and still have effective diffusion.

Ok so in not going crazy. Now that I am running my co2 into a ceramic diffuser and then my canister filter i believe I have 99.9% diffusion, not seeing any bubbles in the filter output

Edit-BTW I posted a better photo of the ludwigia and a tank plan on my thread. Open to suggestions on it :)
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the fish mix up was unintentional. Similar size and color (white substrate washes both out). Tank was on the bottom rack; not best for viewing. Young employee who may have been distracted because we were talking. The fish will be in QT so it won't be hard to retrieve them. They get CPDs pretty regularly so the wait won't be too long.
I may start directing the CO2 back into one of the HOB filters. That way the only bubbles I should see is from pearling.
Time to check on the acclimation (been dripping about an hour or two so far).

I have 2 sparkling gouramis in with my CPDs, furcata, and cherry barbs....no issues whatsoever :)

I have 2 sparkling gouramis in with my CPDs, furcata, and cherry barbs....no issues whatsoever :)

Oh just add to my confusion :) If I keep them I would have:
5 Ember Tetras
4 CPDs
4 Sparkling Gouarmis
I wanted to keep the schooling fish to 2 types (just larger numbers of each). If I get a third it would be Furcatas or related species.
Fish were all over the place last night in the main tank. Even the Otos were playing along the front pane.

I have no experience with the gouramis but I'd keep them, they look pretty nifty. Perhaps it's time for a 9 oz. Back up tank?? Save the stress of running out of gas?!?!

I have no experience with the gouramis but I'd keep them, they look pretty nifty. Perhaps it's time for a 9 oz. Back up tank?? Save the stress of running out of gas?!?!

I'll still call the LFS this morning to see what the price difference is between the two fish and negotiate a break on any future CPDs. I'll have to think about it (keeping the Gouramis).
My QT is bare for the most part (some EcoComplete gets in there from the plant roots). The CPDs may not color up until they get into the DT.
You sound like Dr Nano. Yes, a spare tank is a good idea. When I refill my current tank I'll check out the ones they have at the sporting good store. I'm on my 4th refill; every 5th refill is free!

I've had sparkling gouramis before. I'm definitely a fan, you should keep one or two. They are hard to tell apart, but I would try to pick two males (1 solitary is fine too). I've seen them get aggressive- I had 5 in a 29 community and I ended up having to separate them.

They are definitely my favorite gourami. My CPDs are very much mid-level fish so it's nice to see fish at the top of the tank. And those blue eyes.... :whistle:

Yeah I've been trying to find a place to fit in some of those guys in each of my tanks but keep backing out. Saw them at the LFS and fell in love with them. Someday...

Back
Top Bottom