FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Gold tetras are temperamental. Half of the time they are skittish hiding and right now as I am just about to uproot some plants they are playing 3 way tag in the middle of the tank. One of them chases the embers but the embers just move out if the way. These guys don't quite fit the nano mold (too big) but they are going onto their 8th year with me so I'm kind of attached to them.
Time to dive in. Pics later when chaos is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your gold Tetras sound like my Celestial Pearl Danios. They do waayy too much hiding out somewhere in the back for my liking, and when I shoot video of them and move my hand up to the zoom control, they bolt away in a microsecond. I hope they grow some balls soon, or I might sell them off. In contrast, the Vietnamese White Cloud Mountain Minnows are brave nano fish that don't even run from the gravel vac.

How many CPDs do you have? Mine are always out and about, they'll even follow me from one end of the tank to the other. I just they would actually slow down for some decent pics :rolleyes:

There are 8 CPDs in QT now. In a couple of weeks they will join the 5 ember tetras, 3 gold tetras, and 2 Otos.

I pulled out 16 Bacopa, 20-24 pogo, and 9 Blyxa stems.
9wxovb5.png

I ended only using half of the pogo and Blyxa. I will bring the plants to the LFS in exchange for discount coupons. Currently too cold to ship and my QT can only hold so much. I was able to move the HOB filters closer to the center. Mostly to keep the flow off of the taller plants. Here are some pics, one with the FugeRay and one with both.
nEiSg3K.png
8TayKxE.png

Now that's a scape!! Very well put sir..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How many CPDs do you have? Mine are always out and about, they'll even follow me from one end of the tank to the other. I just they would actually slow down for some decent pics :rolleyes:

I have 7 of them. I see them swimming around sometimes, but they just act scared of me most of the time. (Maybe it's my face?? :lol: When I am shooting them, they seem less skittish, unless one of my hands moves. So, they are HAMS, and they don't like my face. ;P

I pulled out 16 Bacopa, 20-24 pogo, and 9 Blyxa stems.
9wxovb5.png

I ended only using half of the pogo and Blyxa. I will bring the plants to the LFS in exchange for discount coupons. Currently too cold to ship and my QT can only hold so much. I was able to move the HOB filters closer to the center. Mostly to keep the flow off of the taller plants. Here are some pics, one with the FugeRay and one with both.
nEiSg3K.png
8TayKxE.png

Fresh,what is it that you're using to prop your fixtures above the tank?

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

Custom rails cut from PVC strips and painted black. I did not like how the Finnex mounts sat on the tank rim so I built rails to extend the rims. I used super glue to attach them to the tank rim.
I tried to copy the links to pics in the albums but having trouble doing this on a mobile app. Just go to my albums>Misc

Looks great! Ah I can't stand to see all those lovely plants run away! Hah.

Things change and grow. Nothing stays the same. Well, if you work at it it can stay the same. But I enjoy the transitions.

Now that's a scape!! Very well put sir..

Thanks you! The pogo was bothering me. Planted it lightly because it grows quickly.

I really like how this turned out. You pulled a lot of plant mass out of there, there's so much room for fish activities!

What is the plant in the right corner, is that limno?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

So much room!!! As long as the cpds arnt frantically swimming around screaming "Why did you let us do this?!!"

So much room!!! As long as the cpds arnt frantically swimming around screaming "Why did you let us do this?!!"

The CPDs won't see this tank for a week or more. I'm sure the intrusion of extra plants in the QT startled them.
Got the new tank in and it took a while to adjust the bps. Starting with a lower working pressure (~25 psi) this time at 4-5 bps. Diffuser is going into an HOB instead of free-for-all misting the tank. DC barely changed yesterday.

Looks great :)

Thanks! I dropped in a small algae stick (like a wafer but in stick form) and the oto and Amano were fighting over it. Meanwhile, the embers were hovering nearby picking off the bits and pieces being released from the stick. Definitely NOT picky eaters. They look like little tangerines with fins.

I really like how this turned out. You pulled a lot of plant mass out of there, there's so much room for fish activities!

What is the plant in the right corner, is that limno?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

A lot of plant mass came out. I will be bringing the plants to the LFS in groups. Several trips, several coupons. So Blyxa one day, bacopa another, and so on.
Yep, that is limno. Hoping to start sending it out when the weather improves. It's doing okay in here. Not as colorful and robust as it was in the previous owners tanks.

Thanks. Plants are happy for the most part. Now I want happy fish. The embers love FD tubifex worms. They are like little orange missiles darting around the tank.
I have been injecting about 4 bps into the HOB filter. Not sure if it is more effective than letting the mist circulate in the tank. Ideally the bubbles would get trapped in the floss leading to increased contact time and saturation. But I only seeing blue green from the DCs. Also in this pic you will see the effects of overcrowding stem plants. Note the skinny portions of the pogo stems in the background. Ignore the uprooted Downoi. Time to break out the tooth picks!
XJLqp4U.png

Back
Top Bottom