FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really digging that crossbanded rasbora, haven't seen those before.
You're giving me ideas haha.

Really digging that crossbanded rasbora, haven't seen those before.
You're giving me ideas haha.

I've never actually seen them labeled that way, they're usually called emerald dwarf rasboras. Those labeled galaxy rasobras are in fact CPDs.

As much as I trash pronunciations that's why I try to stick with their scientific names, my kids get a good laugh out of that :hide:

Last edited:
Mike - I had you at beverages
Tiger - Patio (see below). Not sure how tall; I want to hang plants and Edison bulb lights. And drink adult beverages. I'd do a green house if was in the corner of the yard (out of sight).
Angela - Yes, the Brigitte are very colorful. I saw your rasbora id post; weird on the coloration.
Overhead view of patio:
M57Tyn4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its a colorful fish killing tank! Nah, totally preventable. As a matter of fact, I just turned on the CO2 I adjusted it to 1.5 bps and then shut it off. I don't plan on doing anything else with the tank tank today besides feed the fish and replant some stray star repens stems (decided the extend the stars all the way across the tank).
Not thinking about restocking anything real soon. I want to make sure things are stable. Lots of options to work with and I appreciate all of the suggestions the AA community has provided.
Working on something-not-fish-related. Early stages of building something like this in my backyard:
bJOXeE3.png
OORRlTw.png

These are just examples. Will put my lawn furniture and fire pit under it and enjoy cold beverages.

dude. totally believe in you.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Must be nice to have good weather to work on outdoor projects. I was going to fertilize my yard this weekend. Ferts don't work when the ground is frozen! It was 18 degrees when I woke up Saturday!

Make sure you post progress pics!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Max - it was in the 30-40s this weekend. But supposed to be nice this week. And the longer days help. Still in the design phase. Hope to pickup the lumber this week.
Looking forward to ordering a canister filter this week (plant sales money will be funding this). Most likely going with the Fluval 206.
Anyone know if krylon paint (for plastic surfaces) is tank safe?

I believe the Krylon is safe. It bonds to plastic and once it cures it's good to go. What are you painting?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Anybody have any experience with the micro rasboras? I was also thinking of CPDS for my next tank but they sound like finicky eaters. Tax refund where art thou?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anybody have any experience with the micro rasboras? I was also thinking of CPDS for my next tank but they sound like finicky eaters. Tax refund where art thou?

I have B. maculatus, merah, and graclis...no problems with any of them.

I also have a group of CPDs, never had problems getting them to eat.

I've used krylon fusion on a reef decoration. My 29g Craigslist special came with all kinds of decor. I wanted the cave and didn't want to buy one, so I painted the colorful reef black and tied java ferns all over it.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can kinda see it right corner

Attachments

• 1427691421138.jpg
    1427691421138.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 59
I've used krylon fusion on a reef decoration. My 29g Craigslist special came with all kinds of decor. I wanted the cave and didn't want to buy one, so I painted the colorful reef black and tied java ferns all over it.

I see it. I thought it was recycled spongebob decór. Jk of course.
I was thinking about painting a DIY PVC spray bar. I did not want to see the normal PVC white color.
The lone furcat is swimming fine but I noticed it was not aggressively going after food yesterday. Either the effects of the CO2 or lack of it's own kind may be affecting its behavior. One thing is that the rainbows may have served as dither fish for the ember tetras and CPDs. When I would walk in and out of the room they would be swimming around doing their thing and I think it made the shy fish feel at ease. If they hid, the other fish hid. Maybe it's a coincidence.

Lol. Never forget where you came from. I did notice some chipping (maybe plecos), but never affected water quality.

1. New Filter
2. New Stock
I ordered a Fluval 206 this morning to replace the dual AC50s on this 20g tank. The ACs have been sort of noisy lately so this will be a nice change. Will pack the existing ceramic media in the canister for a smooth transition. Not going to worry about the inline CO2 reactor just yet. Any suggestions on intake and output placement? My last canister was a magnum 350 (in the 80s) so this should be fun.
The last furcata went missing so I assume it is snail and shrimp food. That leaves me with:
5 Ember Tetras, 5 CPDs, 2 Otos.
I'm looking at kuhli loaches and either another group of schooling fish or just simply increase the numbers of the existing two schools. Or all of the above??? And the other schooling fish might be porkchop rasboras. I've seen them at least once at the LFS and most likely something that can be ordered readily.
I've been running the CO2 a little less and adding more glut to compensate. I'm hoping the fish that I still have are more tolerant compared to the rainbows.

1. New Filter
2. New Stock
I ordered a Fluval 206 this morning to replace the dual AC50s on this 20g tank. The ACs have been sort of noisy lately so this will be a nice change. Will pack the existing ceramic media in the canister for a smooth transition. Not going to worry about the inline CO2 reactor just yet. Any suggestions on intake and output placement? My last canister was a magnum 350 (in the 80s) so this should be fun.
The last furcata went missing so I assume it is snail and shrimp food. That leaves me with:
I'm looking at kuhli loaches and either another group of schooling fish or just simply increase the numbers of the existing two schools. Or all of the above??? And the other schooling fish might be porkchop rasboras. I've seen them at least once at the LFS and most likely something that can be ordered readily.
I've been running the CO2 a little less and adding more glut to compensate. I'm hoping the fish that I still have are more tolerant compared to the rainbows.

Are the embers good schoolers? If so I'd just add to that group. Kuhlis are awesome, they always get a vote from me.

Are the embers good schoolers? If so I'd just add to that group. Kuhlis are awesome, they always get a vote from me.

The embers hardly stray from each other. Maybe when they are feeling really comfortable they might but at the slightest notion of danger the pack in. The CPDs often join in.
I do miss the rainbows as dither fish. They would move around the tank like basset hounds without a care in the world. IMO that put the rest of the inhabitants at ease.
Yeah on the kuhlis.

1. New Filter
2. New Stock

Output in back right corner and intake in back left or output in back right corner and intake just left of it in the same corner(intake, 1 inch gap, output, 2 inch gap, side glass). The second way would eliminate the area directly under the output as a deadzone. A small powerhead blowing left to right along the back wall would push the water to the intake.
*all directions are if you are facing the tank*

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The embers hardly stray from each other. Maybe when they are feeling really comfortable they might but at the slightest notion of danger the pack in. The CPDs often join in.
I do miss the rainbows as dither fish. They would move around the tank like basset hounds without a care in the world. IMO that put the rest of the inhabitants at ease.
Yeah on the kuhlis.

In a nice-sized group and once settled in the tank the kuhlis are a lot of fun to watch.

The rainbows are addictive. Finally make the decision to sell the CPDs and base that tank around them and the peacocks.

Back
Top Bottom