FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah but those twins are the 40L. And thats a build in progress. Currently housing abt 21 A grade selct pinoy blue angels waiting for this weekends club auction. Dr concannon is giving a presentation on angel breeding and genetics. So theyll fit the meetings auction perfectly.plus ill BAP 6 of em.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah but those twins are the 40L. And thats a build in progress. Currently housing abt 21 A grade selct pinoy blue angels waiting for this weekends club auction. Dr concannon is giving a presentation on angel breeding and genetics. So theyll fit the meetings auction perfectly.plus ill BAP 6 of em.

Perfect timing, I say. He speaks, incites a fervor, and the bidding war starts. Good luck this weekend. I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes. I miss going to my local club meetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey fresh how do you have your CO2 feeding into your tank? Im just using a diffuser under my aqua clear 110 and Im wondering if there is a better way without going inline (which I can't because my 306 can't run an inline, not strong enough). Im about to pull the trigger on a GLA atomic diffuser.

Its an hour away. But its as local as i got. Do you keep angels, bro? Or mainly just a plant master in training?

Man I want me some of those Pinoy blues... Just no room! Ive got a pair in my 55 already that would not appreciate the intrusion!

If either of ya do want any lemme know... Ill glady give ya the hook up. I like spreading the love back to the hobby. I dont need to take em all over to K.C. With me.

I alternate between a Fluval ceramic diffuser and a non brand name glass/ceramic diffuser. It sits under the intake of an AC50 HOB. 2-3 bps I believe. Been toying with using a DIY reactor but that would require a pump or adequate canister (I have neither). So far things are working.
Tank too small for angels. I do nano fish, though. Envious of all the tanks and fish you guys have. I find the plants easy; fish, not so easy.

imagine that bad boy in yer tank, LOL! Nah... im not proud of these or nothin. They hatched on april 2nd.

Fresh.... Is there a difference between the micro pearlling and the larger pearls i see. I just put a diy Co2 system on my 20L, and occaisionally ill catch a val pearling but its a super micro pearling trail, it seems.

Fresh.... Is there a difference between the micro pearlling and the larger pearls i see. I just put a diy Co2 system on my 20L, and occaisionally ill catch a val pearling but its a super micro pearling trail, it seems.

The micro pearling appear to be the norm, and the larger, infrequent bubbles are from smaller bubbles congregating under a leaf or in the substrate. Before I used CO2, my plants would often pearl after water changes. I believe the new water had so much dissolved oxygen that anything produced by the plants went straight to gas form. I did DIY CO2 for about a year and it was effective.
The Angels are striking. Did not notice the RTS at first.

I think ya gave me good luck, bud. Dem angels sold like a drug at a rehab facility.... Alot higher price than i ever would have imagined..... When you did your diy Co2, what was your recipe. Right now im using a simple syrup yeast recipe, with a dual 2 liter bottle to check valve to a bub counter toa fluval cheapo diffuser. I feel like my recipe is lacking as it kicks Co2 for only 2 weeks +/- a few days. Its a recipe i came up with while at work (im a chef). So i got to play with it while baking.

I think ya gave me good luck, bud. Dem angels sold like a drug at a rehab facility.... Alot higher price than i ever would have imagined..... When you did your diy Co2, what was your recipe. Right now im using a simple syrup yeast recipe, with a dual 2 liter bottle to check valve to a bub counter toa fluval cheapo diffuser. I feel like my recipe is lacking as it kicks Co2 for only 2 weeks +/- a few days. Its a recipe i came up with while at work (im a chef). So i got to play with it while baking.

Here's my recipe.
1 aquatek premium reg., 5 pounds of pressurized co2, 1 homemade reactor and a few other little diddys I found in the kitchen. Kicks like a mule and rides like a dream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Truck repairs left me tooooo broke for that stuff. Or i would enter the pro Co2 door and see whats up.

Okay.
For a two liter bottle I use 2 cups of sugar and 0.5 tsp of yeast. I first mix ~1.8L of warm water and sugar. I then pour about 0.5 cup of the water-sugar solution into a microwavable cup. I microwave it for about 20-30 seconds (this will vary). I take a kitchen thermometer and adjust (or wait) until the temp is between 105-115 F and then stir in the yeast. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes (it should get a little foamy) and then add it to the rest of the solution. The solution lasts about two weeks. I used this recipe for about a year on my 20 long before I went pressurized.
I've seen other setups where an incandescent bulb was placed near the solution to provide heat. Room temp has worked with the recipe I've used.

Ok. Abt tbe exact same as me.... Once activated at 105 or so. It should stay active until its finished off its food source (the sugar) at room temp. Im wondering if you need to change the mix at all. Or can you just feed it to keep it going. Much like you would a mother dough while baking. These mother batched will last as long asyou feed it. Ive got a sourdough mother dough that ive been using for yrs to bake with. Hmmmm..... Expirement time i guess. Thanks for the info, fresh. You da man as usual.

Some good info being exchanged here! Been tossing around trying a diy co2 setup and you cats are persuading me more so.

Jesse

Do it. I had great results when I went from no CO2 to DIY CO2 in my 20L. You can still supplement this with glut, excel, etc,

I went back to diy co2, due to my laziness driving to airgas for a refill. It's out of the way to anything. Here a recipe I use regularly http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/diy-co2-recipe-duration-vs-intensity.html?m=1
I use a Apple juice bottle and the reactor and 20oz Gatorade bottle as the overflow/bubble counter. I put the sugar first then fill the bottle 3inches from the top (more than 2/3) then add everything else. Shake then seal. Bubbles start flowing in 45 mins

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom