FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure did! 8 CPDs and 4 otos. Too soon to tell gender as they are too pale and too small. I put a very opaque background on the QT and it is pitch black when the lights are off. They will be in there for a week or two.
I've got to keep an eye on the golden tetras; they are huge compared to the CPDs and embers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With your CPD's do you find they hide almost ALL the time when they think you are going to watch them? I can peek around the corner and see them all over the tank and in the front. I walk into the room and all I see are green leaves of my plants, lol. (I have about 15 can not be sure since they try to be invisible and just 6 Cory Habrosus)

With your CPD's do you find they hide almost ALL the time when they think you are going to watch them? I can peek around the corner and see them all over the tank and in the front. I walk into the room and all I see are green leaves of my plants, lol. (I have about 15 can not be sure since they try to be invisible and just 6 Cory Habrosus)

Yes, exactly! When I feed them they do come out to eat and them off to the woods. I thought I was the only that peeked around the corner to spy on the tank. Perhaps I should build a duck blind in the room and camp out in there.
The fish in the QT are coloring up nicely.

Update time!
Left side:
zKEck0E.png
Center:
RroJ6fz.png
Right side:
B4yLJNM.png
FTS:
2CCSVi4.png

This tank really needs a trim. 3 of the 4 new plants have taken off (Eichornia diversifolia, Pogostemon quadrifolius, and Rotala species Colorata). I've got the P. quadrifolius growing next the the P. erectus; similar growth, however, the latter has more leaves and a fuller appearance.
Limnophilia aromatica is too big for the front corner of the tank. If I can only get the downoi to flourish; it is growing but not as big as it did when I ran high light.
Last week i hacked down the Ludwigia species Red and Rotala macrandra and they have rebounded nicely. I think the switch from the 13w to 26w CFLs has made a difference. In the evening the water is full of micro bubbles; not from the CO2 but from the pearling. I need to replace the DC fluid because it seems to be stuck at a greenish yellow color.
Fish wise, the golden tetras appear to be behaving themselves. 4 otos and 7 CPDs are in QT for another week or so.

Update time!
Left side:
zKEck0E.png
Center:
RroJ6fz.png
Right side:
B4yLJNM.png
FTS:
2CCSVi4.png

This tank really needs a trim. 3 of the 4 new plants have taken off (Eichornia diversifolia, Pogostemon quadrifolius, and Rotala species Colorata). I've got the P. quadrifolius growing next the the P. erectus; similar growth, however, the latter has more leaves and a fuller appearance.
Limnophilia aromatica is too big for the front corner of the tank. If I can only get the downoi to flourish; it is growing but not as big as it did when I ran high light.
Last week i hacked down the Ludwigia species Red and Rotala macrandra and they have rebounded nicely. I think the switch from the 13w to 26w CFLs has made a difference. In the evening the water is full of micro bubbles; not from the CO2 but from the pearling. I need to replace the DC fluid because it seems to be stuck at a greenish yellow color.
Fish wise, the golden tetras appear to be behaving themselves. 4 otos and 7 CPDs are in QT for another week or so.

Looking good! Maybe your addition of more CPDs will help in bringing them out more.

Looking good! Maybe your addition of more CPDs will help in bringing them out more.

I hope so. Just checked the QT today and counted 5 of the 8 CPDs. Saw 3 of 4 otos (lots of places to hide though).
I'm about 4 days overdue for the weekly water change. Long weekend out of town, crazy work schedule. Not much time for the tank, hence the overgrowth.

Fresh, I wish I had your problems. I've been out of town way too much this summer and I haven't had to cut anything back except the bacopa and move some blyxa. I've had corkscrew val in my tank for over a month now and haven't seen any new growth. The pogo from you has been sort of existing. Forget ground cover plants!

Tank looks really nice, even if it's a little overgrown. You've got a wet green thumb, sir.

Fresh, I wish I had your problems. I've been out of town way too much this summer and I haven't had to cut anything back except the bacopa and move some blyxa. I've had corkscrew val in my tank for over a month now and haven't seen any new growth. The pogo from you has been sort of existing. Forget ground cover plants!

Tank looks really nice, even if it's a little overgrown. You've got a wet green thumb, sir.

It took me over a year to master growing foreground plants (although they're not the totally difficult ones). You'll get it eventually. I found that flow is very important to them and pressurized CO2 is almost a must to get them to grow lush. Oh, and those good old photons are pretty important too haha.

It took me over a year to master growing foreground plants (although they're not the totally difficult ones). You'll get it eventually. I found that flow is very important to them and pressurized CO2 is almost a must to get them to grow lush. Oh, and those good old photons are pretty important too haha.

Star repens has been good so far. Downoi a bit more challenging. AR mini is tough (shrunken leaves, BBA) even with ferts and CO2.

Chop-chop. Removed these from the tank.
Blyxa
TBqwKc2.png
Pogostemon erectus and Pogostemon quadrifolius
uYWiQMl.png
Rotala macrandra and Rotala species 'Colorata'
s6Xa3wA.png
Eichornia diversifolia, Ludwigia species 'Red', and Bacopa caroliniana
JLbaJBH.png

Short, short video [22 sec] of my tank pearling. Had the filter off for this so that the bubbles go straight up and not sideways. A bit more than usual since I trimmed yesterday (damaged tissue "leaks" oxygen). Ignore the BBA.
Same video but listed twice (was not sure which tag to use): http://youtu.be/Exa6owwAb0U [youtube]http://youtu.be/Exa6owwAb0U[/YouTube]

Dats alot of pearling... Man, i gotta step it up a lil.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dats alot of pearling... Man, i gotta step it up a lil.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You've got the twins (the 24/7s, that is) so you should be set.
I was thinking about getting a 24/7 but I think I'm happy with this setup. The pair of 26w 6500k CFLs as supplemental lights have made a difference. Has not pearled like this since I ran the planted+ and the fugeray.
I like keeping the plants low; I feel like there is better flow in the tank. Fish seem lively this evening. More swimming, less hiding.
In the QT I see 4 otos; they are grazing on a slice of blanched zucchini. I counted 5 CPDs. They've all been in QT a week. Going to look them over closely this weekend. Perhaps an early release?

Back
Top Bottom