FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Done planting. Not so sure about the stem plants though. I may keep them in there for a bit while I mull over it.
I am pleased with the way the background turned out. I should have painted this tank eons ago.
The little 97 gph filter did a good job clearing the tank (yes, I changed the floss every day) and it pushes a surprising amount of water. The way the current hits the diffuser, the bubbles are pushed down and sideways, increasing contact time. Even at 1-2 bps, the DC turned lime green/yellow quickly and filled the tank with bubbles.
I'm in no hurry to put the fish back in so I can crank the CO2 and baby this carpet for a while.
f5Bllu3h.jpg

Looking really good so far fresh! Will look amazing when it all grows out!

Package arrived! What could it be?
acHUvs1l.jpg
A new filter!
VjFH6Xjl.jpg
Unfortunately, it was too big for my stand. Sitting in a bucket for now
EhFXgFXl.jpg
Had to mod the intake a bit because it was too long
X9KIHOjl.jpg
Filter installed, heater and CO2 moved to the left side
5Ccz4khh.jpg
HC Cuba closeup
yJk6CSmh.jpg
fvJhdkzh.jpg
The rocks
d2gfHa6h.jpg
Cheers!

Looks great! How is the flow for you?
Edit: oops sorry just saw your post on my thread :)

What diffuser have you been using until now?

Fluval. I also have a generic, imported glass/ceramic one but the bubble size was not much better.
Checked on the filter. No leaks. I can hear it run (barely). Bummed that it won't fit in the cabinet.
You know what that means?
New cabinet! I'm thinking of building one with the footprint of a 40b. Mostly for the added cabinet space for the filter and CO2 rig. And for the potential of getting a 40b. Plus, I can make it a bit taller for added space. As for doors, I could pull them from my other tank's stand; they are maple base cabinet doors from the existing home office furniture.
Not sure how a 20L will look on a larger stand. Will have to add braving to the top for this. Hmmm...

See that black garbage bin....
IMG_1482413700.475688.jpg
It has my canister inside it. My tank is on a double wide file cabinet so there is no inside for a canister. It's watertight and not too much of an eyesore. I split the lid in the back to put it over the hoses.

Perhaps a workaround for you until a new cabinet happens.

Tank is looking awesome. I have my sand on order and planning a New Years new tank overhaul. It's fun changing it up!

Fluval. I also have a generic, imported glass/ceramic one but the bubble size was not much better.
Checked on the filter. No leaks. I can hear it run (barely). Bummed that it won't fit in the cabinet.
You know what that means?
New cabinet! I'm thinking of building one with the footprint of a 40b. Mostly for the added cabinet space for the filter and CO2 rig. And for the potential of getting a 40b. Plus, I can make it a bit taller for added space. As for doors, I could pull them from my other tank's stand; they are maple base cabinet doors from the existing home office furniture.
Not sure how a 20L will look on a larger stand. Will have to add braving to the top for this. Hmmm...

I'm thinking you might have to upgrade the 20L.....

I've looked at glass diffusers - any good? I've always stuck with ceramic ones when I've used them.

That is a clever workaround with the black bin. I will look into something like that (to help maintain peace in the land).

I'm thinking you might have to upgrade the 20L.....

I've looked at glass diffusers - any good? I've always stuck with ceramic ones when I've used them.

I could be wrong by I think they all incorporate some type of ceramic matrix. It's just the housing that differs.
Just now I nudged the filter intake next to the diffuser and it is picking up about 80% of the bubbles. Not seeing anything come out of the spray bar.
I am still thinking about doing the DIY reactor that Bert is working on. Even with the partial loss of flow, there will still be plenty coming out of this filter.

That is a clever workaround with the black bin. I will look into something like that (to help maintain peace in the land).

I'm a woman and a fish geek. But even I was loathed to stare at a huge canister. There some very pretty trash bins. Or a large wicker hamper to camouflaged.

Package arrived! What could it be? A new filter
VjFH6Xjl.jpg
X9KIHOjl.jpg

Touch the perfection... Touch it! :lol:

Very nice work on the total rescape! Seeing this might just be the nudge I needed to pull all my plants and rescape my tank, which is long overdue. I might have to take another day off sometime after the holidays just to have enough time.

I like your solution to shorten the intake plumbing. Seems like a perfect fit. I just attached the strainer to the piece it's supposed to connect to, and slid that piece over the piece shown in your photo. It's somewhat loose-fitting, but it works since the seam is underwater. Otherwise it would probably draw in some air.

No room for the canister!?!?! How will u fix that Griggs reactor aswell!? Haha ;)

Back
Top Bottom