FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Came home from work and saw a few ember tetras hanging out near the surface. Drop checker bright yellow. CO2 is only on 2 hours per day. Turned on the solenoid and the bubble count was very high. I dropped it down 1-2 bps and, as a precaution, removed several gallons to increase the surface agitation and promote CO2 off gassing. Oh, boy. Other than that, plants look great!
wh62wwF.jpg

Disaster avoided!

Just a comparison pic of 3 weeks of growth:
FfwT4mV.jpg
At a glance, not a lot of growth. However, you can see the flattening of the staur repens leaves in the second shot. I've been growing this plant since 2013 and only this past year have I noticed this type of growth pattern. Prior to that it was a full, yet upward growth requiring periodic trimming. Also, side shoots are becoming runners now. Growth rate is medium. The only thing different is the use of the Finnex 24/7 in 24/7 mode. The Planted+ is supplemental and only on for 3 hours per day so I'm not sure if that is a factor.
This tank is close to set-it-and-forget-it.
[emoji106]

Having determined the bubble rate was the culprit, I've bumped up the CO2 period from 2 to 4 hours. Will work it back up to 6 or whatever it was before.
Not much else to report other than I've started feeding the fish mosquito larvae and they are loving it. Being resource responsible, I decided to put the water from a recent water change from all three tanks into an empty trash can outside. I used most of that water for the potted plants. The next day noticed several mosquito egg rafts floating in the water. I gave it a few days and started scooping out a cup of water each day and adding it to the tank. The normally skittish fish go into feed mode.

Still feeding the mosquito larvae. I'm thinking the live food is having a positive effect on them.
Not much else to report. Plants are healthy and growing slowly. I'll try to get a pic tonight.
These days I don't spend much time with the tanks aside from dropping in food daily and weekly water changes. They are on cruise control and that's fine with me.

Still feeding the mosquito larvae. I'm thinking the live food is having a positive effect on them.
Not much else to report. Plants are healthy and growing slowly. I'll try to get a pic tonight.
These days I don't spend much time with the tanks aside from dropping in food daily and weekly water changes. They are on cruise control and that's fine with me.

Haha getting lazy fresh! Bring back the old Dutch scape I say! Weekly trimming and skimming! It's what dreams are made of.

I can see you going for iwagumi scape on the next rescape [emoji16][emoji23]

No Dutch for me. At least not in the near future. It was fun when I had it, allowed for a great variety of plants but did require weekly trimming. I got over the jungle fever and tried a semi-Iwugami over the winter with DBT. They did fine for several months as long as I trimmed them weekly until they started to uproot in unison. So I went back to the staur repens which is filling in nicely. Right now the growth rate of the plants overall is in sync with my attentiveness to the tank (minimal). When your passion matches your lifestyle, then I think you are in a good place. I did not switch to a cerges/grigg reactor because the setup I have delivers what appears to be ample CO2. The mist does not bother me because it's only like that for a few hours.
Not sure what direction this tank heading in or how long it will stay in its current state. I can't believe this is post #2970 in this thread.

Those repens are insane! Have you been trimming and replanting at all or are they just spreading by themselves now?

Looks great [emoji106]

The repens were planted 5 weeks ago. This is what they looked like at the time
xQzDb3N.jpg
FURfhqG.jpg
Have not trimmed or replanted any since then. I am seeing an increase in side shoots and a number of these are creeping along the substrate. This is a very dense growth; back in early May when I pulled up a patch it yielded over NINETY stems.
I've found a sweet spot, thus the reluctance to change anything. At some point I might rip it out, sell it off, and try something different (DHG Belem). Hopefully it will go as well as this has.

That AR "mini" is super red! When I had some, I could only get it to be a burnt orange/light red. How much PAR do you think you have at its peak? If I can grow DHG in low light, I'm sure you'll have success with it when, or if, the time comes. I say keep it how it is for now. It looks nice!

Sounds great - I must look these up. One day the bulb cost on the quad T5HO here will get too much...

The American fixtures are expensive here dela your better off going with makemyled if you ever change ;) he makes them to suit any take size and depth and I can't fault them at all [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom