FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love seeing progress!

Jesse

The build is fun. Maintenance, on the other hand, ...meh. See my other tank.
If I did not have to work tomorrow I would pull an all nighter and finish this.

Interesting, thanks for posting the pics!

Wonder how it would work with subwassertang.....

The stuff I had in my shrimp tank fragmented and made a big mess. I may try it the gaps between the stone and DW.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what happened the first time I got some. Recently got a clump of it with some shrimp I ordered. It's currently hanging from some floating baby tears in the jungle tank. I'd like to do something with it but I'm afraid I'll kill it again :hide:

Very nice gluing moss method! I gotta try that one day. I always tied my moss with cotton thread...still OCD haha.
Don't be afraid with the red moss, it might look dark red/black out of the tank, but when you put it back in the tank with light, it turn back more color...similar to other red plants (ludwigia red...). And it's very hardy too, you can use glue as well!

Can't wait to see the finished project! Makes me want to start another tank....heheh

If all goes well, I may be forced to send you moss, wood, sketches, glue and money. Bless you, I love the look but don't have the patience. Are you going to do any sort of background?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If all goes well, I may be forced to send you moss, wood, sketches, glue and money. Bless you, I love the look but don't have the patience. Are you going to do any sort of background?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No background (yet). For some reason I am less patient with this project than others. Yes, moss grows slow so this may be reduced to weekly updates once things get set up.
I am welcome to ideas, plans, sketches, etc. My goal is a version of the all moss tank, however, if I find that I like something different along the way I may go with that.

I took one of the two red moss portions and tied it to a 4"x4" SS mesh. Here is a pic of it in the tank next to one of the Fissidens fontanus that was setup a few weeks ago. Water is hazy due to the 1/3 tsp of montmorillonite clay I added (to boost the calcium for the shrimp and snails). I started daily dosing PPS-Pro. I also added one IAL.
hO63gYR.png

As for livestock, shrimp only for now. May consider nano fish at a later time.

Maybe a background will suggest itself as things develop! ?

Anything is possible. But since I painted the back of the tank last week, I want to be able to appreciate it for a while. I don't see the background in my planted so this is a treat.

I glued more moss to the first stone and continued to the ones underneath. The stone on the left has red moss on top. They are a little rough overall but in time it should grow in.
MWsQAVy.png
In the center of the tank are two more pieces of DW and behind those are a pair of mesh+moss squares. I RAN OUT OF GLUE ? so this will have to wait until tomorrow.
4y6HF5l.png
On the left side of the tank are more moss covered (sort of) stones and DW. IAL in the back.
VpYjYdp.png
Here's a FTS:
BAKBNaK.png
Still bit hazy from the clay. I cheated and added a flocculant; it turned the water from chalky to milky. Ugh.

No worries, I'll sit in the impatient boat with you for company :p Seems I wind up making things worse every time I try some trick or other to make it better instead of waiting it out sensibly. :| Still, things are coming along so well it doesn't take much imagination to see how the current shape will develop.

This is going to be good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rare daytime shot. Finished gluing the moss to the last two pieces of driftwood. I will add bits of moss to fill in gaps from time to time.
And now we wait...
I will give it at least a week or two before moving some shrimp back in here. I want the biofilm to build up. Or maybe the shrimp will stay where they are and I actually buy some fish. Oh, the audacity.
This thread may chill for a bit while the moss do their thing. I plan to post periodic updates.
xl55vQr.png

Saweet! I'm "sitting in silence" with my morning full calf, pressed, mochachino cafe latte.
You're exhibiting Jedi like skills here Fresh. I will wait patiently as well.

Hold the fish.
I'm entertaining the idea of fish in this tank and, if I do, it would be nano fish such as micro rasboras. If I want to mimic the tank I was inspired by, then it would be a school of ember tetras.
Or I may just keep it as a shrimp haven.

Back
Top Bottom