FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did I say "No Stems" for this tank? Yes, I did:
ceG4LPw.png
These are just hanging out here until this weekend's auction. I did a major trim on the planted tank and had lots of leftovers.
The prefilter should be here in a few days and after that I may start moving the shrimp into this tank.
On a side note, shrimp are little poop machines. The internal filter was barely moving water because it was clogged with waste.
A rather large MTS had died in the temp shrimp tank and I saw a gang of shrimp pulling its carcass out of the shell. They later feasted on it. Yum?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sure.....

sit in silence...

Did I say "No Stems" for this tank? Yes, I did:
ceG4LPw.png
These are just hanging out here until this weekend's auction. I did a major trim on the planted tank and had lots of leftovers.
The prefilter should be here in a few days and after that I may start moving the shrimp into this tank.
On a side note, shrimp are little poop machines. The internal filter was barely moving water because it was clogged with waste.
A rather large MTS had died in the temp shrimp tank and I saw a gang of shrimp pulling its carcass out of the shell. They later feasted on it. Yum?

Nothing like witnessing nature at work to realize you're food for something else when you die!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Large mound of pelia moss in one of the 10g's..Have you considered it?

sit in silence...

1. Pelia Moss
2. Oily surface
3. Substrate suggestions

Not yet. It bears a strong resemblance to subwassertang. I had a big clump of it in the temp tank but it fragmented quickly. I still have some portions left.
My immediate concern is the oily film on the surface. I tried paper towels and when I did a PWC today, I used a solo cup to act as a skimmer (end of siphon hose was in the cup which was held slightly below the water surface). That took out a majority of it but it is still present. I'm thinking it os coming from the blasting sand. It was washed very thoroughly prior to use.
Before I start moving the shrimp over, now might be the time to change substrates (again).
Any suggestions? I prefer a small, black sand. Not concerned with growing rooted plants. Stock will be neos though I am open to Caridina species in the future. Only need enough to cover the bottom 1/4"-1/3" deep at the most.

1. Pelia Moss
2. Oily surface
3. Substrate suggestions

Not yet. It bears a strong resemblance to subwassertang. I had a big clump of it in the temp tank but it fragmented quickly. I still have some portions left.
My immediate concern is the oily film on the surface. I tried paper towels and when I did a PWC today, I used a solo cup to act as a skimmer (end of siphon hose was in the cup which was held slightly below the water surface). That took out a majority of it but it is still present. I'm thinking it os coming from the blasting sand. It was washed very thoroughly prior to use.
Before I start moving the shrimp over, now might be the time to change substrates (again).
Any suggestions? I prefer a small, black sand. Not concerned with growing rooted plants. Stock will be neos though I am open to Caridina species in the future. Only need enough to cover the bottom 1/4"-1/3" deep at the most.

Oily film! Where does that come from?!? I have it in my 5g and can't get rid of it no matter what I try.

As far as substrate I'm a fan of Tahitian moon sand. Very dark although sometimes it almost has a sparkle to it. I have it in 2 tanks and in retrospect wish I had used it in the Spec instead of EC.

1. Pelia Moss
2. Oily surface
3. Substrate suggestions

I've been told it's a result of excess protein,a skimmer will make quick work of it...
I also 2nd the Tahitian Moon sand,super dark & shrimp pop against it...

sit in silence...

I googled "aquarium blasting sand oily surface" and found several links to posts on other forums noting a correlation between the two. True or not, removal of the thin layer of blasting sand will be pretty simple: take out the stones and DW and then siphon it out. I plan on soaking/rinsing the stones and DW just to be thorough. Draining a filling the tank as well.
Is the "glitter" associated with the Tahitian Moon a drawback?

I googled "aquarium blasting sand oily surface" and found several links to posts on other forums noting a correlation between the two. True or not, removal of the thin layer of blasting sand will be pretty simple: take out the stones and DW and then siphon it out. I plan on soaking/rinsing the stones and DW just to be thorough. Draining a filling the tank as well.
Is the "glitter" associated with the Tahitian Moon a drawback?

Not at all, just so you know it's not a flat black, for lack of a better description. Here's a shot from my Evolve under a Finnex Stingray:

img_3302303_0_6a77d3e69a18eab879ac4eb8726ee1ed.jpg

Not at all, just so you know it's not a flat black, for lack of a better description. Here's a shot from my Evolve under a Finnex Stingray:

img_3302315_0_6a77d3e69a18eab879ac4eb8726ee1ed.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and pic. Flat black would be preferred. Similar to the Fluval Shrimp Stratum. But the Tahitian looks so clean and dark.

Bare bottom for now until I find a new substrate. I decided at midnight to siphon out the blasting sand. Scrubbed the walls with a sponge, filled and drained a few times. I was careful to not over rinse the filter. Perhaps I should have. When I turned it on, a brownish film came out of it and spread across the surface. Drained and filled the tank, flushed the filter thoroughly. I dipped the stones and DW in clean water and placed them back into the tank.
vJVm6PI.png
Here is a nice clump of Fissidens fontanus from TT:
1ti8Pqu.png
These next two pics show how red the red moss is. Previously, a fine layer of dust had dulled their appearance. They will contrast well with all of the green:
zG0xChY.png
GW1kum5.png

Last edited:
Forget substrate. All moss all day!

Thin layer of eco & be done...

sit in silence...

Moss substrate... Problem solved

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These are great suggestions for a number of reasons:
1. No substrate = do nothing (I'm lazy). Probably will help keep the tank clean. I did place some SS mesh squares under the stones because direct contact with the glass bottom bothered me. I can find a more forgiving material.
2. EcoComplete: I have 30-40 lbs sitting in a tub (storage). I could do a thin layer (and pick out the non-black grains...OCD).
3. Moss carpet: have enough SS mesh to pull that off as well. Just need to grow out the moss...

Since I am doing neos and my water source is decent, buffering substrates may be unnecessary and/or overkill.

Often the oily surface will dissipate with additional water movement like having the HOB a inch or 2 off the surface with the waterfall effect (and a little noise). No film.

I am gonna try the CRS. Ordering next week. Can't find any reasonably priced locally! I won't pay the $8.99-9.99 each. for not awesome quality.

Can't argue - they will be awesome looking with black substrate and black background. Easy to see, unlike my pretty dark BV, they tend to disappear, into the green and the darkness of the tank. Orange Sakura is my next one I think after the CRS. It is what I wanted 4 years ago but couldn't find. The TT are nice too but not as bright as Orange Sakura. I wanted blue and orange shrimp. I have different ones now BV and TT (instead of OEBT and Orange Sakura) but presently they don't pop, and are hard to see. Info fwiw.

Super Tigers are pretty too. Heck, there are so many new color variations to pick from, its awesome to have so many choices!

I am gonna try the CRS. Ordering next week. Can't find any reasonably priced locally! I won't pay the $8.99-9.99 each. for not awesome quality.

Can't argue - they will be awesome looking with black substrate and black background. Easy to see, unlike my pretty dark BV, they tend to disappear, into the green and the darkness of the tank. Orange Sakura is my next one I think after the CRS. It is what I wanted 4 years ago but couldn't find. The TT are nice too but not as bright as Orange Sakura. I wanted blue and orange shrimp. I have different ones now BV and TT (instead of OEBT and Orange Sakura) but presently they don't pop, and are hard to see. Info fwiw.

Super Tigers are pretty too. Heck, there are so many new color variations to pick from, its awesome to have so many choices!

Good quality orange sakuras are gorgeous!

These are great suggestions for a number of reasons:
1. No substrate = do nothing (I'm lazy). Probably will help keep the tank clean. I did place some SS mesh squares under the stones because direct contact with the glass bottom bothered me. I can find a more forgiving material.
2. EcoComplete: I have 30-40 lbs sitting in a tub (storage). I could do a thin layer (and pick out the non-black grains...OCD).
3. Moss carpet: have enough SS mesh to pull that off as well. Just need to grow out the moss...

Since I am doing neos and my water source is decent, buffering substrates may be unnecessary and/or overkill.

Moss carpet over a thin layer of eco...

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom