FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding the Chobani moss experiment...I had to tap out after five days. DW was covered in patches of fungi and what little plant matter what present was straw brown and not green. Into a pot of boiling water went the DW and some cholla that were in the tank. It took quite a bit of scrubbing with a tooth brush to remove the dried yogurt and/or fungi. As for the tank, I think I will fill and drain it with treated water a few times to flush out any mold spores. Then add the cleaned DW and a few moss covered pieces of DW from the temp shrimp tank. I may run it like this for a bit to let the biofilm build up.
I will get there someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ha ohh man.. sounds pretty bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It was an experiment with only two outcomes. No biggie. Will work the tank this weekend.

I filled the tank, added the prepped DW and a few pieces of moss covered DW from the temp shrimp tank. The moss on these pieces recovered pretty well; lots of brown moss on the remaining pieces of DW. There were a couple of hitch hiker shrimp in the moss.
HVjRWyP.jpg
Going to let this run a bit to build up some biofilm before I start moving shrimp. I added about 3/4 tsp of Montmorrilonite clay, a dose of PPS-Pro, and there is a leaf of IAL that has been breaking down over the last 2-3 weeks. There are already MTS, pond snails, seed shrimp, and copepods present.
Since the hardscape is DW, I can easily move them around until I get the look I want. Not looking to add any stones/rocks to this tank yet.

Looks great fresh! Excited to see it progress

Thanks! I got tired of seeing an empty, moldy tank. Hopefully will be moving more DW and stock this week.
Since the temp tank is bare bottom, catching the shrimperoos should not be a hassle.

Dude.. that cholla.. if you just placed it at all random angles and put a little moss in there.. think it would find its way out through all the holes? Look sweet?? Like that old school playdoe press thinger.

Dude.. that cholla.. if you just placed it at all random angles and put a little moss in there.. think it would find its way out through all the holes? Look sweet?? Like that old school playdoe press thinger.

Yes that would work. Put some in the center and push it through with a straw or back end of a BBQ skewer or chopstick. It may take a while to grow out. Flame moss might be good for that.
I have a small base in the window that has moss in it. I put it three a few years ago and only add water when the level is low. I can pull moss from there. Thanks for the inspiration.

Full of ideas this guy is....

sit in silence...

Yes that would work. Put some in the center and push it through with a straw or back end of a BBQ skewer or chopstick. It may take a while to grow out. Flame moss might be good for that.
I have a small base in the window that has moss in it. I put it three a few years ago and only add water when the level is low. I can pull moss from there. Thanks for the inspiration.

Good idea by Brookster...Will be cool to see how well that does...

sit in silence...

A bit off topic but what did you end up doing with the subwassertang you got a few auctions back?

A bit off topic but what did you end up doing with the subwassertang you got a few auctions back?

Off topic? Ha! Not on this thread.
After it disintegrated I moved it to a specimen container for a few weeks and then added it back to the temp shrimp tank. The total volume went from a 6" subway sub to less than a 2" clump. The fragments found their way around the temp tank and settled in. Some formed a cluster with some Java moss. So far it's not growing much but not dying off either. I plan on adding most of it to the new shrimp tank. It was only $4-5 fixed price at the auction and I have a feeling it is readily available from the PVAS group.
Here is a pic of the temp tank:
NpIpMST.png

After hearing you mention Han Aquatic on several occasions I finally visited their site. Lots of neat products and plant specimens! The nano marimo moss balls caught my eye but unfortunately they were out of stock. I sent an email to them asking when they would be available again. I think a gaggle/herd/pod of them would look good in the tank.
Is that we're you got your CRS or was it somewhere else?

It's an interesting plant (moss?), my shrimp really seem to like it!

I buy all my shrimp tank supplies from Han, have purchased plants from him as well but not his CRS. I do know an AA member who has though, seems quite happy with them.

Here is one of the hitch hiker shrimp in the newly scaped tank:
wQtstnK.jpg
No, the stem plants are not permanent. I trimmed the planted tank and these are some of the extras.
This morning I will take some Flame/Java moss that has been sitting in a small vase next to window for the last few years and stuff it into the cholla wood. Will also glue down some wild fronds of moss on the DW already in the tank.
Perhaps I will move more DW and/or cholla over from the temp tank. Tank has been filled for only a week so I doubt enough biofilm has built up in it yet so any established hardscape will help.

Hahaha we have a squatter. reading through your thread makes me want some shrimp again.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like that scape fresh, the left side especially..

Back
Top Bottom