FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is gonna be fun to watch manifest into shrimp paradise.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is gonna be fun to watch manifest into shrimp paradise.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dude - so many changes with this build my head is spinning. Thanks for the encouragement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice to see I am not the only one here with crazy stuff going on in my tanks, yours just has pictures! :)

I said Petco sand was odd, mine has light and dark coloring now some like grains of sugar in my black sand and I did also have black residue n the early months. No residue after the first year except loss of color in grains. I have had it for about 3.5 years now. It will be changed out when I redo the tank (later).

I was also going to say maybe BB die off or now bloom happening.

The loss of plants is frustrating, I just cleaned out a whole tank today because of melting Guppy Grass and moss causing poor water quality and in general a big ugly mess. Feel your pain.

What about the under gravel filter things that go under the gravel to put the moss floor on?

Ha! Have not used one of those since the 80s. I gave it some thought (even adding a layer of black craft mesh between that and the gravel) and then decided I want to keep the sand thin enough just to cover the bottom. The whole detritus accumulation thing. The MTS might not be too happy though.
Empty tank:
c3CBekL.png

Got tired of looking at an empty tank, so I added water and a very thin layer of Petco black sand I had in storage. I needed a place to dump the floating plants. I like the shade effect they create.
Still keeping this low tech. I do find the "emptiness" refreshing.
Moss is still recovering in the temp shrimp tank. Most of it is gone but getting some growth from the tips.
BOO4zXj.png

Got tired of looking at an empty tank, so I added water and a very thin layer of Petco black sand I had in storage. I needed a place to dump the floating plants. I like the shade effect they create.
Still keeping this low tech. I do find the "emptiness" refreshing.
Moss is still recovering in the temp shrimp tank. Most of it is gone but getting some growth from the tips.

I understand that feeling, kind of like less is more.

Are you happy with the Petco sand in this tank? There are so many scuds in my shrimp tank that I'm concerned about shrimplets, considering tearing it completely down and replacing the EC with sand.

I replied about this on your Petco Sand thread. I like it. It looks good. Catching shrimp is a pain.

My tank smells ?
Let me back up a bit. After the moss debacle of November, I thought should provide an update. Moss has been SLOWLY growing back in the temp shrimp tank. I took a less than golf ball size of Fissidens fontanus and minced it with a paring knife. I then added a dollop of Chobani plain yogurt and mixed it in a bowl. It strongly resembles a cucumber dill sauce. Certainly glad I did NOT have any potato chips nearby. Totally unscientific measurements. Using a cotton swab , I painted a few large pieces of mopani DW and some manzanita branches. Maybe coated is a better word.
I drained the tank (left about 3/4" water), positioned the coated DW so there is no shading, covered the top with plastic wrap and the glass top. Lights on around 8-9 hours a day.
That was yesterday. Today I misted the tank. It smells horrible. I guess I should expect that from the yogurt mixed with moss sitting out unrefrigerated. Here is the tank at Day 2. Condensation is heavy on the glass:
rKBVv49.png

I moved the filter in the temp shrimp tank to get and keep it cycled.
4mk6ldo.png

Flooding won't occur until I start seeing new moss growth. It may be awhile before the next update.

Open a window geez...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Open a window geez...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm good as long as I leave the lid down/tank closed. Not sure if I should allow it to vent prior to misting it. If I do, yes, the Windows will be open. I believe the yogurt should be preventing mold from getting established. This is as close as DSM as I have ever done.

After researching the mold issue I am seeing in this tank, I've learned two things: Most likely there is too much moisture and a DSM start with moss can be done without yogurt. Yogurt blend has been used successfully with terrestrial mosses. Not saying that it cannot be done with aquatic mosses. It has. But more successful cases without it from what I've read.
I've opened the lid to air things out. I have a spray bottle filled with DI water for misting. I applied a few drops of h2o2 to the tufts of fungus.
The upper parts of DW when set in very shallow water will remain moist for the most part mainly from wicking action. This should provide plenty of moisture for the moss.
I am going to give the current setup about a week before doing anything. If the mold subsides and I see an inkling of moss growth, then I will flood it. Else, dip the DW is boiling water and return to the tank. Either way, at that time I will fill the tank and start moving some of the moss laden DW over from the temp shrimp tank.

After researching the mold issue I am seeing in this tank, I've learned two things: Most likely there is too much moisture and a DSM start with moss can be done without yogurt. Yogurt blend has been used successfully with terrestrial mosses. Not saying that it cannot be done with aquatic mosses. It has. But more successful cases without it from what I've read.
I've opened the lid to air things out. I have a spray bottle filled with DI water for misting. I applied a few drops of h2o2 to the tufts of fungus.
The upper parts of DW when set in very shallow water will remain moist for the most part mainly from wicking action. This should provide plenty of moisture for the moss.
I am going to give the current setup about a week before doing anything. If the mold subsides and I see an inkling of moss growth, then I will flood it. Else, dip the DW is boiling water and return to the tank. Either way, at that time I will fill the tank and start moving some of the moss laden DW over from the temp shrimp tank.

Haha. The things we go through! This is interesting. What does the yoghurt provide?

A lovely aroma? XD heeeheeee
Acts like glue to keep the moss on whatever surface you stick it and gives it a snack, in theory.

The lactobacillus *should* reduce mold growth as well.
Yeah, it smelled like a locker room when I first opened it. But after being open all day I cannot smell anything unless I stick my nose over the tank. Some of the DW stayed moist and the new piece did not. I misted it.
I might work out something where I close it at night and open during the day (or vice versa) to try to get a balance on the moisture.
In hindsight, perhaps super gluing fronds on moss stems would have worked out better. Live and learn.

I dunno. I used superglue on marimo over cholla and it went dead brown. Did not like at all.

Back
Top Bottom