Freshwater Aquarium Tank Help!!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crosby_Junior

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a beginner in aquarium stuff so I've got the oceanic biocube 14 and I've got natural gravel with one fake plant. I was a a little excited and i got a guppy (male) so then i got another guppy (female) the female looks likes its pregnant. I also have neon tetras (3) and zebra danios (3) i need help is this a good combo or should i remove some fish and get new ones. I have all the filtration stuff going but i don't have a heater if you guys don't mind can you guys send me a good and inexpensive one up to $30. Also can you guys help me out any additional information i need to know. If you guys have a good fish combo please tell me in the answers box and heaters send the link. Thank you guys very much

Theres a petsmart store like 5 minutes away from my house so it would easier if i got it from there walmart is around the corner for me too. Can you guys send me your fish tank pictures btw

Do u know if i could improve the filtration setup in the back i've got the basic one but i was wondering cant i put a filter ex: whisper in the 1st chamber then bioballs then the pump. So the plants can i get it at petsmart or get the plants from outside. If buying it where would i get everything plants rocks etc. Also do u know how the biocube u cant put a background in i was wondering if i could put one inside my aquarium.. IF yes do i need to go to a special store or just get the wallpaper from walmart or petsmart or some local fish store.

I'm a beginner in aquarium stuff so I've got the oceanic biocube 14 and I've got natural gravel with one fake plant. I was a a little excited and i got a guppy (male) so then i got another guppy (female) the female looks likes its pregnant. I also have neon tetras (3) and zebra danios (3) i need help is this a good combo or should i remove some fish and get new ones. I have all the filtration stuff going but i don't have a heater if you guys don't mind can you guys send me a good and inexpensive one up to $30. Also can you guys help me out any additional information i need to know. If you guys have a good fish combo please tell me in the answers box and heaters send the link. Thank you guys very much

Theres a petsmart store like 5 minutes away from my house so it would easier if i got it from there walmart is around the corner for me too. Can you guys send me your fish tank pictures btw

Do u know if i could improve the filtration setup in the back i've got the basic one but i was wondering cant i put a filter ex: whisper in the 1st chamber then bioballs then the pump. So the plants can i get it at petsmart or get the plants from outside. If buying it where would i get everything plants rocks etc. Also do u know how the biocube u cant put a background in i was wondering if i could put one inside my aquarium.. IF yes do i need to go to a special store or just get the wallpaper from walmart or petsmart or some local fish store.

Well it sounds like your doing fish in cycling so a water test kit like API freshwater test kit for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is critical now. Ammonia is the waste product from fish (aquarium nitrogen cycle) and you don't want it above 0.25. So test kit top of the list.

The main thing I look for in a heater is too make sure it is adjustable.

The link below will get you started on stocking. How big is the tank in gallons or litres?

http://www.aqadvisor.com

Plants and everything else I tend to buy at a fish shop or order online. The cardboard backing I get goes on the outside.

Filtration - unsure what whisper is in first chamber? Are the bio balls in the second chamber plastic?

Its 14 gallons and has the filter cartridges in the first chamber and bioballs in second chamber then the sponge filter then the air pump. I was just asking since i cant put the background outside the tank can you put an in tank background? If yes do i need special paper or just get the background from petsmart etc? Also what would be the best fish combo? Im going petsmart this Saturday and i'm getting a gravel cleaner and the heater, Anubian or Java Fern Plants, Java Moss and Cabomba. Is this a good set of plants for a freshwater aquarium. Also i was wondering can i get plants from a plant store? Where would i get driftwood and rocks? I will send you the picture tommorow if you want to see it thank you very much and can you answer everything gladly appreciated

P.S Can you send me a heater link:thanks:
Is this one good?
Is it worth it for $32?
is 100W good for 14 gallons?

Aqueon® Submersible Aquarium Heater 100W

Bit late tonight- 14 hr work day so this is a bit quick.

Heaters:- that one seems fine. I live in Perth, Australia so generally anything is cheaper than I can buy locally :). For the same reason it's hard for me to suggest a good shop or link. I've probably dealt with 10 on-line stores here now and never had any troubles - I find West Australian quarantine laws more difficult. You could possibly go up a heater size if winters are cold. I have a thermometer on the opposite side of the tank which I find more accurate and will also alert you to any slow malfunction. Well worth getting one. I've never had a heater go on me though. I also have a RCD or fuse switch plugged into the wall socket as I'm mixing water and electricity.

Aquarium Heater Size Guide

Background - you can get special fake in-tank backgrounds but you have to be careful of not creating dead spots behind them in water flow. The wall-paper type background I have with a planted scene just goes straight on the back glass outside the tank. There should be room to do this - it's just a wall paper as you mention?

A fish shop will have aquarium plants, rocks and driftwood or you can buy online. Rocks you can collect - were you thinking of doing this?

Fish - from what you have so far, it sounds like you like community fish? You could increase the school size of each and also have one male guppy per 2 females. I like to have some live-bearers in the tank. However we really need to get the tank cycled before increasing the number of fish.

Water - conditioner - have you picked up this? Generally I do a 30 to 50% water change each week. As you are fish-in cycling the lfs may do a water test for free so you can get ammonia checked.

Edit - you could also look at small catfish or dwarf chain loaches I think for the bottom. I'd do a separate post in the generals section to get more feedback.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom