Freshwater Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just ran across these guys on LiveAquaria, and was wondering if they'd be a neat idea to add to my 30gal tank?

To help filter out the bad stuff and as something unusual, I understand they may burry themselves to do their work but, hey.. even if I can't see them.. atleast their workign, eh?

I believed you that they existed, I've just never heard of anyone putting them in their tanks. I dont' see any problem with putting them in your tank, but you may want to wait and get advice from someone who knows about them (and hopefully has owned one or two of them). :mrgreen:

Zic said:
I believed you that they existed, I've just never heard of anyone putting them in their tanks. I dont' see any problem with putting them in your tank, but you may want to wait and get advice from someone who knows about them (and hopefully has owned one or two of them). :mrgreen:

I didn't mean to insenuate that you didn't know that they existed, was just giving the link so you could read what LA had to say, and incase you wanted some of your own :p

I think my concern would be making sure they get enough to eat, without causing water quality problems...guess that could be solved by feeding it clam chow, though.

It would be cool if I could just get these guys and eleminate my HOB filter all together.

I believe I read somewhere that one per gallon is needed for adequite filtering, but obviously more research is definately needed.

Would be cool tho.

and with my guys, I doubt they would run out of food. But if they did they could either be made into clam chowder, or just throw some invertebrate food. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom