Freshwater cycling journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Test 5

May 8th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.
  • This is the second test of today.
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrites: 0.00 ppm
Nitrates: Around 40.0 ppm possibly

Compared to Test 3: Ammonia slightly greater than before, Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates immensely greater than before

Action to be taken: Water change followed by the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix. More testing later after the medication has settled.

CaptainMako said:
What does the huge nitrate spike mean? Good or bad?

It means it's odd with that many pwc's. Are you certain you're doing the test correctly? Shake #2 solution for 30 seconds and entire solution for a solid minute? If so, you should test the tap water out of curiosity.

It means it's odd with that many pwc's. Are you certain you're doing the test correctly? Shake #2 solution for 30 seconds and entire solution for a solid minute? If so, you should test the tap water out of curiosity.

I shake the #2 solution, yes, but I don't shake any of the final mixtures for more than 5 seconds, I thought that's what it intructs. I'll go for longer. Also, the ammonia one solution is awfully thick, should I be shaking them all just to be sure?
And I tested the tap's ammonia, it's listed on the front page.

CaptainMako said:
I shake the #2 solution, yes, but I don't shake any of the final mixtures for more than 5 seconds, I thought that's what it intructs. I'll go for longer. Also, the ammonia one solution is awfully thick, should I be shaking them all just to be sure?
And I tested the tap's ammonia, it's listed on the front page.

You're getting inaccurate nitrAte results. I shake all the solutions, but it's very important to shake the nitrAte #2 solution for 30, and shake the entire vial for a full 60 seconds. Wait 5 minutes and check your results at that time. That's when you see your accurate results.

I shook nitrate 2 for 30, always have. What I am saying is that I only shake the test tubes for about 5 seconds. I changed that this time.
I shook ammo 1 (Or 2, whichever one is the thicker) nitrite and nitrate 2 for 30 seconds, and the rest for maybe 10. Then the entire vials for about 50 seconds to a minute. Below are the results.

Test 6

May 9th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.
Ammonia: Between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm
Nitrates: Around 5.0 ppm

Compared to Test 3: Ammonia slightly greater than before, Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates significantly lower than before

Action to be taken: Would do an immediate water change, but out of time this morning. Will perform one as soon as I am able, and then dose the tank with Pimafix and Melafix. Secondary tests will be taken before the water change, and a while after medicating.

This doesn't make any sense! >_<

EDIT:

I guess something is better than nothing. I can do a minimal 25% or so PWC with the amount of time I have, but not a 50.

Also, I have that Ammo-lock stuff and Prime.
I don't really want to do ammo lock because that would be just another chemical in the tank.
Prime says it detoxifies ammonia nitrites and nitrates, so in theory that would just solve my problem for this morning?

CaptainMako said:
This doesn't make any sense! >_<

EDIT:

I guess something is better than nothing. I can do a minimal 25% or so PWC with the amount of time I have, but not a 50.

Also, I have that Ammo-lock stuff and Prime.
I don't really want to do ammo lock because that would be just another chemical in the tank.
Prime says it detoxifies ammonia nitrites and nitrates, so in theory that would just solve my problem for this morning?

The ~.25 level of ammonia could be caused by the tap waters chloramines content. Even if you dechlorinate during each pwc, the API kit will show it as a false positive. The ammo is detoxified, but still present until the bacteria eats it. Test the tank prior to your next pwc, and if the ammo level has dropped, that's a good sign.

In a cycled tank (which we're still going to treat yours as uncycled until after the meds), the readings should always be 0 ammo, 0 no2 and differing amounts of no3. However, if you're doing pwc's very often, you will see the ammo from the pwc showing on your test until the bio-filter has a chance to consume it. The process you're doing right now seems to working well and I wouldn't recommend changing anything until you complete the regiment of medication. Good job so far :)

I completely forgot about the test still reading false positives...urgh. >_<
I added Prime to detox the ammo, I had to get to school and I'm abusing my computer privelages.

So don't change anything, other than testing BEFORE PWC's and then a few hours afterwards? The ammonia drop, if any, will give me some hints?

My readings are good, but I won't know where I am in the cycling process until the medication is finished?
That's next Thursday..ugh. X_x

Edit number 2:
So just keep on the daily 25-50% PWC's and medicating as usual, but test BEFORE a PWC and then a few hours later, or in the morning (The water changes are usually in the evening) and I should be fine?

CaptainMako said:
I completely forgot about the test still reading false positives...urgh. >_<
I added Prime to detox the ammo, I had to get to school and I'm abusing my computer privelages.

So don't change anything, other than testing BEFORE PWC's and then a few hours afterwards? The ammonia drop, if any, will give me some hints?

My readings are good, but I won't know where I am in the cycling process until the medication is finished?
That's next Thursday..ugh. X_x

You've got the right idea. If the ammonia drops to zero and stays there and the nitrItes stay at 0, and you've got nitrAtes that would indicate your tank is cycled :). I just don't want to throw a celebration party yet until the meds are done. Looks very promising so far though. :)

If your ammonia is higher right after a water change than it is right before a water change, it's the chloramine showing up. You'll need to always use a dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia, which both the ones you have do.

But you did a tap water test, and I would not expect chloramine effects to be greater after mixing with tap water than they are straight out of the tap.

Test 7

May 9th, 2011
  • This is the second test of today.
Ammonia: Around 0.25 ppm, seems less
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm

Compared to Test 6: Ammonia lower than before, Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates remain the same (Five)

Action to be taken: 30-50% Water change followed by the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.

Could it be possible that I am not cleaning my test vials properly?
I dump them, and thouroughly rinse both the tubes and the caps in cold tap water, and then air dry.

CaptainMako said:
Could it be possible that I am not cleaning my test vials properly?
I dump them, and thouroughly rinse both the tubes and the caps in cold tap water, and then air dry.

I don't want to draw any conclusions until your meds are done, but everything is looking okay for now. We can make a concrete conclusion once you've finished your medicine regiment. The API kit is notoriously difficult to tell exact levels. Even in my fully cycled tank I sometimes can't tell if my ammo is at 0 or .25 (I know for a fact it's 0 in mine though). Just keep doing exactly what you're doing, and we'll decide for sure what your cycle stage is in once the fishies are better :)

CaptainMako said:
All right. :) I was just curious if that was an improper way to clean them or not. Will a 30% change cover it tonight?

The way you're cleaning them is fine. If your ammo is below .25 you can skip the pwc tonight and test in the morning. If in the morning the ammo is 0, that'll be great news :)

Would it be better to leave it and see what the bacteria does overnight? I won't have time for a PWC in the morning but I can dose with Prime if there are any problems.

CaptainMako said:
Would it be better to leave it and see what the bacteria does overnight? I won't have time for a PWC in the morning but I can dose with Prime if there are any problems.

If the ammo has definitely gone down instead of up today, I think it's okay to skip the pwc. If for some reason it jumps way up tonight (which I don't expect), hopefully you can find time for a small pwc and a dose of Prime in the morning.

I'm not trying to be lazy, I just want to see if the bacteria will eat the ammonia up or not. If I need to do one and I have the time, I will. Weekday mornings are gonna have to be Prime though.

Back
Top Bottom