freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somewhere I once read that you only need 5 times your aquarium volume per hour through your sump, the rest of the flow can be made up with powerheads or closed loop. So 5 times 75 is 375 gph right? That's so that your protien skimmer or media reactors have time to process the water.... of course this may or may not be true. But it was something that stuck in my head once.

given that my system volume will be around 90ish gallons. 5 times would be 450. so if i remember right a mag drive 7 would work. and if we say that a 1" pvc overflow can flow 600gph, i keep seeing that number over and over again. i should be good.

yeah its weird how those are rated for one thing but you diy and nobody has actual working numbers. some say they can flow 950 in 3/4inch pipe. other say they have a hard time flowing 400 with 1.5, thats a good sized tank. man i want a big tank. ha still have to get this one done all the way and my 40 finished before i should think about bigger. sweety pie says we are on hold. she wants a couch again, hard to do when there is no floor space.

coffeetwitch said:
yeah and carey's is a 1"overflow pipe and a 3/4 return line on her 90g reef ready that she may have a stand for by now.
What pump is she using?

coffeetwitch said:
idk. i dont think she has one yet. i should ask shouldnt i?

i was close, a mag 7 pushes 475 at 4'

I could see a mag 7 work with this diameters. I got a mag 7 with my half closed valves ;)

and if i followed you right its flowing too much for both your 1.5 drilled stand pipes?

also pictures!

img_1565136_0_540f55aceb8c519767840e3c4290d4e6.jpg

img_1565136_1_46bf774885a5e1cb9be0720fcdb2bf0d.jpg

img_1565136_2_aa3fa9ffbeebbd568c7ba2bafcdb8612.jpg

img_1565136_3_e3ac7955d15c502cddd2ab2d2de4db04.jpg

its not finished, i still have to cut a piece for the portion that will dictate my dt water level

i think i just remembered why i wanted the mag 9.5 over the mag 7, i was going to "t" some of the return flow over to my refugium.

if it flows 800 at 4 then i was going to "t" 200 to my fuge.

as my sump is set up for the pump to be in the middle and the refugium and skimmer are on opposite sides of the sump.

one more post to get it off my mind, i could "t" over to the refugium from the line coming from the overflow. throw a couple ball valves at it and everything should work after it gets dialed in.

good question, wish i knew. maybe if it where far enough down stream it wouldnt interfere with the overflow since that seems to be the biggest question on hand.

Back
Top Bottom