Frickin frag....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased a large colt coral and it came attatched to the smallest little peice of rock I have ever seen. I'm having a hard time placing it because everytime I toss a little current its way, it blows away. Any ideas how I can place it.

TIA

Calvin

You could try garf's underwater reef glue

http://www.garf.org/bestglue.html

they glue stuff to everything and apparently it works pretty dang good. I am going to get some eventually I think. you just put on both pieces, hold together with slight twisting motion until you feel it start to set up (20 sec or so) then let it go.

Michel said:
IT,s also safe to use superglue in gel ... IT,S aqaurium safe if it contains cyano... something in it
Cyanocrylate...

Cheers
Steve

Steve, does that mean that one could even use "Crazy Glue"? My wife was gluing something yesterday using it and I happened to pick it up and read the ingredients and it does contain that chemical.

Would there be nothing else, chemical wise, in the glue that would be bad for the system? Or are all glues that contain that chemical made the same and will have no effect?

Steve, does that mean that one could even use "Crazy Glue"?

Yes, but the gel works better for underwater aplications.

Or are all glues that contain that chemical made the same and will have no effect?

They are pretty much all the same, once the patent expires (the patant holder gets 7 years free reign) anyone can make it ;)

Ahh ok, got ya. I may run by Wal-mart this morning before I go to work and see if I can find the gel based glue. I want to glue the new LR I got in a few weeks ago to the old LR already in the system...

I get the Duro Brand from walmart all the time, it is just as good as any others I've used and less expensive. One thing I discovered this past week, is to make a really good bond...you can make a sandwich with superglue gel, then the epoxy then another layer of super glue gel. This is not impossible to break, but gives a much stronger sturdier bond than either one alone. Just make sure you switch off your skimmer whenyou use it, both will make your skimmer go nuts ;)

I haven't tried the "glue sandwich"...sounds like a good idea though. One thing I have noticed using gel type super glue is that once you get it wet, you have to move fast. It skims over the moment water hits it. I prefer the epoxy for anchoring LR in place. JMHO. I have found that the Ross brand of gel works well too. I usually get it at the Family Dollar store although I think Office Depot carries it as well.

I am glad you told me about the skimmer. I never would have thought to turn it off for a while.

I'll look for the Duro Brand when I go in.

I have used epoxy several times in the past, although not in an aquarium system, and am always disappointed in how messy it is. Maybe its me that is causing the problem... I typically use J B Weld as IME it is the most powerful epoxy known to man. I epoxyed iron sights to a 12 gauge with this stuff one day. Still there.

:wink:

The aquarium epoxy is a putty, usually two parts, that have to be kneaded together, then used. it's not to messy, but the bond won't be very strong untill it fully cures (and even then the sheering strenth isn't very good). You can get the stuff at the LFS specifically for aquariums, or I have used Z-spar from the hardwarestore with good results ;)

Back
Top Bottom