From FL - WV how do i travel with coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College fishman

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's a long haul. And I'm from WV here in Florida for the break, and of course I explored the LFS around here. Found some Zoa colony's that would cost hundreds in WV. It's a colony of Lakers, Green Bay packers, eagle eyes and some misc heads.

So my question is, could I travel with this colony from Florida to West Virginia?? 17 hours is no joke. And it actually took 20 to get here.

Here's the colony

image-1449749326.jpg

Yes you can, get a bucket ask the lfs for some extra water and a battery power bubbler and you should be fine. Just watch the temp if you stop to eat or something. Bring it in with you.

I heard colonies of those things are shipped around the country in wet newspaper or towels don't know about 17 hours though. Most fish stores have extra styrofoam containers that they receive fish in I'm sure they can give you one of those

To me the main thing will be keeping it warm. You might want to keep it in the car with the heat on. With the surface aggitation of the water moving around while driving it will have plenty or aeration.

I read somewhere on here that when the power goes out, someone uses a couple of those boot Warmers that hunters use to keep tank warm. They put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the water.

Do you think I could change some water every couple hours? The colony is $99.

I think I might give it a try. I'm going to do the heat packs in a plastic Baggie and ask them for a bunch of water to do changes.

Just keep them warm. As said here, they go 24 hours in wet newspaper in a FedEx box. Getting too hot or cold will be your problem, but should be a no brainer riding back in the car.

What temp do you think I should keep them at? Obviously like room temperature would be okay, but they could be in the water for a long

It'd be best to keep them around the mid 70s you just really don't wanna go over 80 or into the 60s. With that said when you get back up this way you should chop a lil frag off for a zoa trade lol. I'll let you get some of my pinks or some lps or something.

Not sure when you're coming this way but we're expecting a winter storm this week here in the dub V. You might want to make sure the forecast doesn't affect travel time or power outage situations. I'm sure the fastest route here will be the wisest course.

Also, I was tempted to throw in a flaming couch joke, but I bit my tongue. :)

Yea ill deff have some frags! This rocks about the size of a football!

And yea I've been getting texts about the snow. Morgantown will be expecting me! I hope we don't loose power! I'd cry lol

And he'll I've got 5 couches, I can sacrifice a few for the warmth lol

Are you in WV?? I'm in Morgantown. Local reefers close by?!?

I'm in Wheeling and I'm a freshie (gasp!) but your post caught my eye. Have you been to Wet Pet in South Hills? That's the only one I know of, and it's impressive. Not terribly cheap, but worth the drive I'd wager. I drive all the way there for their healthy stock for most of my tank inhabitants, be they Kingdom Animalia or Kingdom Plantae.

Oh, I suspected you lived in Motown, hence the couch reference. ;-) Go Mounties!

I'm in Wheeling and I'm a freshie (gasp!) but your post caught my eye. Have you been to Wet Pet in South Hills? That's the only one I know of, and it's impressive. Not terribly cheap, but worth the drive I'd wager. I drive all the way there for their healthy stock for most of my tank inhabitants, be they Kingdom Animalia or Kingdom Plantae.

Oh, I suspected you lived in Motown, hence the couch reference. ;-) Go Mounties!

I live in wheeling too :) lol

Awesome! Yea I'm gonna make y way to wet pets eventually. Lets all get together sometime! Me an MC keep fresh tanks also!

Most coral are shipped overseas from source in bags with water. Having the bag pressurized with O2 would help greatly. Our LFS brings in coral from overseas reef (Fiji, info etc) they fly to Vancouver (10+ hours) get reoxegenated at the airport by the importer then to Moncton by air (8hrs or so). That's at least 18 hours in the air plus ground time and there's almost 100% survival unless the boxes get held up or damaged. They are individually bagged in water, packed in styrofoam coolers with heat/cooling packs and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom