Frontosa Query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys
I have a 14cm frontosa in my 75 gallon tank. I only just got him yesterday.

Will I need to get him some other frontosa's? If so how many ?

Also at my LFS, the only other ones are about 4cm, is that a problem? Would I need others?

He is currently in tank with other fish. (But smaller than him).

Frontosa like to be in a group together. Size difference is not typically a problem with frontosa. They do get stressed by faster moving fish so if you have them with mbuna I would separate them. they will out grow the 75 most recommend a 180 but it will take a while they are slow growers.

Frontosa are predators, doubt the smaller fish will be there much longer. Even f thay can't be swallowed whole I once saw pics of a yellow lab that had several (large) pieces bitten out of it by a front. They had peacefully shared the tank for months, then the lab was dinner.

Never had or heard of an experience like that but all fish do have there own personality. I wouldn't really call Frontosas predators in the sense of what we think of other predators in the hobby. They are more opportunistic they aren't aggressive fish at all but they will swallow fish that will fit in their mouths. Many people keep there colonies with varying sizes of fronts they are also like this in the wild. Many also keep them with calvus, lealupi, alto comps which are all smaller fish.

Back
Top Bottom