frozen blood worms and ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xwesx1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
so ive noticed a trend with ich that keeps apearing in my tetra tank , I almost put two and two together a month ago but dismissed it as coincidence , the tank had been ich free for over a month and no fish were added so there is no reason i should have ich , I fed them blood worms and two days later they had ich and the time before that they got it right after feeding them blood worms from the same package , so am I crazy or could the frozen blood worms be contaminated with the parasite

It's always a good idea to rinse frozen food in tap/distilled/RO-DI water, it's not the first time I heard of fish getting sick from frozen food.

xwesx1978 said:
so ive noticed a trend with ich that keeps apearing in my tetra tank , I almost put two and two together a month ago but dismissed it as coincidence , the tank had been ich free for over a month and no fish were added so there is no reason i should have ich , I fed them blood worms and two days later they had ich and the time before that they got it right after feeding them blood worms from the same package , so am I crazy or could the frozen blood worms be contaminated with the parasite

how often do you feed them bloodworms? It may be that you haven't gotten rid of the ich, it's just finished the visible part of it's life cycle, and it could just be coincidence that you are feeding the bloodworms about the same time that the visible part occurs again.

I had healthy fish with no additions to the tank until my first feeding of frozen blood worms. Then I started seeing fungus infections that I could not attribute to anything else since that was the only change. It is always possible that there is something in the food that doesn't belong there. Look at how careful we are supposed th be in the production of our own food and how much of it gets recalled because of E. coli and Salmonella outbreaks.

Back
Top Bottom