Frozen bloodworm causes dropsy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bumzc

Aquarium Advice Regular
A week ago one of my female guppy died from dropsy and now my female blue ram is showing sign of dropsy. I've been reading up on this and some say the cause might be bloodworm getting stuck in their intestinal track. I've been feeding my fish bloodworm daily to condition them for breeding. I was wondering if anyone else has had problem with bloodworm and dropsy?

I do PWC every week.

Ammo -0
N02 - 0
N03 - 5-10

Oh no!! What are you feeding them now that they are not doing well?
I think I recall freezedried bloodworms causing constipation, so peas should be fed too. But I don't know, I don't have much experience with frozen. Where did you get the worms from?
That's awful, to feed in order to condition and then have them get sick :(

I bought the frozen bloodworm from petco. I have her in QT and I haven't fed her since I notice her condition. Will stop by a trusted lfs later to pick up some Epsom salt and meds to see if I can get her healthy.

After gathering info on this topic I will only feed bloodworm a few times and month and will not feed them anything else the day after so they can digest the worms properly.

i don't think it's dropsy. Probably just overeating and too much protein. Try feeding the bloodworms less...

Back
Top Bottom