Frozen Bloodworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, after feeding nothing but the flakes and dried foods (you know the ones), I finally got brave enough to try something frozen. I bought some frozen bloodworms (my fish generally love bloodworms in general). And I just have to say...WOW! I thought they were all voracious eaters before. Freaking pigs. My Buenos Aires tetras were even diving to the bottom and picking up the ones that sank to the gravel. o_O I have a tank full of pigs...not fish!

The more you try of the frozen foods, the more you will notice how the fish react to them, with much more zest. I still feed mine feeze dried foods and flakes and other staple foods, but love to toss in some frozen foods just to watch them feed. Also I think the frozen foods are a little better for them than freeze dried, but thats my opinion.

Frozen bloodworms are the favorite of every fish in my signature except the Red-tailed Rasboras. One of my favorite things to do is hold one of the frozen bloodworm 'gumdrops' in my fingers just at the surface of the tank. My Tiger Barbs practically go insane as they pull them from my hand...like a shoal of mini-piranhas!!!

Mine go crazy for the bloodworms too. I spoon mine in after letting them thaw and watch the fish go nuts. Almost makes me want some... Just kidding. My ahli will fill his mouth with them and then go to some secluded part of the tank. Then he'll spit out a ton of them and eat them in more managable bites.

Kerrinne said:
WOW! I thought they were all voracious eaters before. Freaking pigs.

I also picked up some frozen Brine Shrimp but haven't tried it yet as I still in my cycle. Have you tried them? How did your fish react?

My fish seem bored with their usual flake food, algae wafers, and dried bloodworms. If I get frozen bloodworms and frozen BBS, how long will they last in the freezer? And how often should I feed them the frozen stuff vs. the dried stuff?

myriam said:
My fish seem bored with their usual flake food, algae wafers, and dried bloodworms. If I get frozen bloodworms and frozen BBS, how long will they last in the freezer? And how often should I feed them the frozen stuff vs. the dried stuff?

I usually just pull out the frozen stuff once a week and the rest dried. I don't see any expiration date on the package so I would guess that you could keep it as long as you would keep any meats for human consumption in the freezer (colder is better and don't let the remainder warm up when you get some to feed the fish).

That's funny...my black phantom tetras still don't go for the frozen bloodworms. :roll: The danios (my little pigs) love 'em, tho!

Everyone loved the frozen brineshrimp - however, I was told by several people here that frozen brineshrimp are like potato chips - yummy, but nutritionally empty. I recently got some Hikari vitamin-fortified freeze-dried brineshrimp - ALL my fish go beserk over them and I feel better knowing that they have some nutritional kick.

Back
Top Bottom