Frustrated by freaking DIATOMS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been running for about a month. I went away for a few days, hubby fed my fish, overfed I think because when I returned I had an outbreak of diatoms. All over my plants and rocks.

I have done water changes, lots of gravel vacs since, and all water parameters are since ok. I have scrubbed the crap off rocks, and leaves, but it keeps coming back. I even added an algae stop cartridge to my filter (reduces nitrates / phosphates). Overall seems to be getting slightly better, but coming back almost as fast as I get rid of it.

I have read that diatoms are common with a new tank. I also think that the short period of over-feeding didn't help and probably set it off. How long can I expect to see this ugly crap in my tank? And is there anything else I can do?

I am so frustrated because I was so on top of tank maintenance! Any advice appreciated. :flowers: - kindafishy

Whether your husband overfed or not, the chances of getting diatoms in a tank that young are really high. I don't even know that overfeeding would cause them, since they aren't really algae. You can buy fish/inverts to eat them, but it's pointless, IMO, for something that'll go away on it's own. I also don't advocate people purchasing fish for any reason other than they want them. Give it a few months... we've all been there. It happens to us all when we set up a new tank, no matter how experienced we are.

mfdrookie516 said:
Whether your husband overfed or not, the chances of getting diatoms in a tank that young are really high. I don't even know that overfeeding would cause them, since they aren't really algae. You can buy fish/inverts to eat them, but it's pointless, IMO, for something that'll go away on it's own. I also don't advocate people purchasing fish for any reason other than they want them. Give it a few months... we've all been there. It happens to us all when we set up a new tank, no matter how experienced we are.

+1 to that. The hardest part about dealing with diatoms is convincing yourself to not throw your aquarium out of the window. Is just a matter of waiting it out and manual removal during that time. I agree to not buy fish just to serve a utilitarian purpose..but if you like Otos...they devour the stuff.

I have read that diatoms are common with a new tank. I also think that the short period of over-feeding didn't help and probably set it off. How long can I expect to see this ugly crap in my tank? And is there anything else I can do?

I am so frustrated because I was so on top of tank maintenance!

Then you may not like what your about to hear, but there is a chance you may not completely get rid of Diatoms aka Brown Algae. In this case it may not be just from overfeeding, so you could let hubby of the hook ... for now.

Diatoms respond to high silica content in your water, which in new tanks can comes from gravel or sand used as substrate. I've also read / heard it could also come from the glass leaching excess silica. Either way it is common in newer tanks and can take up to a month to show. Eventually as the silica content is used up, diatoms go away on their own. HOWEVER, if your PWC source is rich in silica, like tap from ground water, you may never truly get rid of them. I've had them since March and there's no sign of them going away. See the link below for some info and suggestions.

Although we don't recommend getting algae eaters to deal with algae problem, if your PWC source is silica rich, then ottos devour / go to town on BA.

Brown Diatom Algae Control | Aquariums Life

Totally agree with you about not adding creatures just for that purpose. My apisto pair are finally getting along like a happy little couple, after a *very* tough start, and I'd hate to rock the boat in their little world by adding anything else! Plus, I like having a pretty much under-stocked tank. My fish seem to like it too.

I had actually read in several different sources that excess nitrates (and / or phosphates, silicates) can cause diatoms. I guess I just assumed that the overfeeding was related based on that. It could just be a coincidence.

So you think it might be a matter of months? Arghhh!!! Do I just basically sit tight and wait? Does it really always go away??? It's so darn u-g-l-y!!! And I've been so good about tank upkeep!!!

Yeah as the above have said they usually come with every tank. I had a bunch on my glass and filter parts and I added a nerite snail (not for the diatoms but because I liked them!) and he just went through them. They do go away though.

Then you may not like what your about to hear, but there is a chance you may not completely get rid of Diatoms aka Brown Algae. In this case it may not be just from overfeeding, so you could let hubby of the hook ... for now.

Diatoms respond to high silica content in your water, which in new tanks can comes from gravel or sand used as substrate. I've also read / heard it could also come from the glass leaching excess silica. Either way it is common in newer tanks and can take up to a month to show. Eventually as the silica content is used up, diatoms go away on their own. HOWEVER, if your PWC source is rich in silica, like tap from ground water, you may never truly get rid of them. I've had them since March and there's no sign of them going away. See the link below for some info and suggestions.

Although we don't recommend getting algae eaters to deal with algae problem, if your PWC source is silica rich, then ottos devour / go to town on BA.

Brown Diatom Algae Control | Aquariums Life

Yikes. I am wondering if high silicate is the case with my water. I don't even think that my test kit test for that, so I don't know how I'd know if it is or not. (?) My water does not come from a public source -- it is from a spring fed well on our property. It is seriously pure water (Vichy region, known for all things h20...), but I have no idea about silicate concentrations from that sort of source.

+1 to that. The hardest part about dealing with diatoms is convincing yourself to not throw your aquarium out of the window. Is just a matter of waiting it out and manual removal during that time. I agree to not buy fish just to serve a utilitarian purpose..but if you like Otos...they devour the stuff.

You read my mind!!!!

High silica in ground water / spring well water is common, especially since silicates are SUCH an abundant substance on land. Could just be the timing of BA showing on your tank coincided with your trip.

Not much you can do except to
1. wait it out, yep could take months.
2. Get ottos which I understand you don't want.
3. Resort to using RO/DI water (it's not just for saltwater tanks) which would deprive the Diatoms of the silica they need to form their shell (gives diatoms their color). Reverse Osmosis Systems & RO/DI Systems For Aquariums

Honestly, I've gotten used to the Diatoms on the side and back glass, since I'm going to cover it up with plants eventually. It's the BA on rocks and plants that's the most annoying, thankfully BA literally just wipes of like dust.

High silica in ground water / spring well water is common, especially since silicates are SUCH an abundant substance on land. Could just be the timing of BA showing on your tank coincided with your trip.

Not much you can do except to
1. wait it out, yep could take months.
2. Get ottos which I understand you don't want.
3. Resort to using RO/DI water (it's not just for saltwater tanks) which would deprive the Diatoms of the silica they need to form their shell (gives diatoms their color). Reverse Osmosis Systems & RO/DI Systems For Aquariums

Honestly, I've gotten used to the Diatoms on the side and back glass, since I'm going to cover it up with plants eventually. It's the BA on rocks and plants that's the most annoying, thankfully BA literally just wipes of like dust.

Thanks for that.

Definitely think I'll just try waiting it out for a while. If it doesn't resolve itself, I think I will have to look into either the otos or RO system. I am hoping not to have to do either because :

-- For the otos, my male apisto is the meanest SOB of a fish ever. Thankfully, he has finally accepted the female, but before that happened he acted like an out-of-control, love-scorned angry third-grader, all temper tantrums and hate, hopped up on pop rocks and running with scissors (fun until someone loses an eye :brows:); a total tail-flicking, spoiled brat, 'get-outta-MY-tank NOW' angry torpedo fishy nightmare on wheels. I can only imagine what he might do with another 'intruder' on his territory. (kindafishy made the mistake of telling the breeder she wanted a fishy with a lot of "spunk" and "personality"...yeeeeah, good call...) Methinks it might get bloody.

-- For the RO water, I haven't a clue where I would get a system like that here. I am a bit retail-challenged here...it's the price I pay for living in the middle of nowhere!

Wait it out and cross my fingers, for now anyway...

Back
Top Bottom