Frustrated with ammonia levels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhprice3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had been attempting to cycle an aquarium (fishless) during the months of October and November. On October 21st, somehow the bottom of this aquarium cracked and all of the water leaked out. Not be discouraged, I purchased a new aquarium on Nov. 23rd and transferred all media, including filters, gravels and artificial plants into it.

I tested the new water and the levels were:
pH - 6.8-7.0
High range pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.0-0.25
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

I added 20 drops of pure ammonia and a couple of hours later the ammonia levels increased to 0.5-1.0 ppm.

I then added another 20 drops of pure ammonia.

11/24/15
I tested the water and the levels were:
pH - 6.6-6.8
High range pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

11/25/15
I added 4 tetras.
pH - 6.4
High range pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

11/29/15
Tested for ammonia only and it had increased to 4.0 ppm.

11/30/15
pH - 6.0
High range pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 4.0
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

Added a single dose of Proper pH (to raise pH) and Stress Zyme (to reduce ammonia?).

12/01/15
Made a 30% water change

12/02/15
pH - 6.0-6.4
High range pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 1.0
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

Water was noticeable cloudy

12/07/15
pH - 6.4
High range pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 2.0-4.0
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

After testing made a 25% water change

12/11/15
Noticed that water was starting to smell bad

Tested ammonia only and level was 2.0-4.0 ppm

Made a 50% water change

After water change, levels were:
pH - 6.0
High range pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 2.0
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

I also have a filter (Penguin I think - made by Marineland) that has a bio-wheel and hold two charcoal filters. I replaced one of the charcoal filters and left the other in place in an attempt to knock down the smell.

Added two neon tetras and a dwarf gourami. The neons died and the gourami is doing fine. Fish total is 4 tetras and a dwarf gourami.

12/17/15
pH - 6.0
High range pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 4.0 plus
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

Added a dose of Stress Zyme.

I guess my questions is...Am I still on the right track? Should I be doing something differently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call around to your local shops and see which one will give or sell you media or sludge to start your beneficial bacteria colony.

To cycle with fish in(you added fish???) you need to keep ammonia under 1ppm.
That means you need to change 75% to get to 1ppm then fill tank and do a 50% water change.
Cycling with fish is TOTALLY different then cycling fishless.
Hope you a ready to change water daily if needed.
What size is the tank and what fish do you have now?
You can not let the nitrite go over 1ppm either.
I am being easy on you with ppm limit and water changes.....
Many say ammonia and nitrItes should not go over .25ppm with fish in tank...

The seeded material mentioned would save you a TON of work and maybe your fish also...

Your ph is too low to be condusive to beneficial bacteria growth. At around 6.5 its growth slows down considerably. At around 6.0 it stops altogether.

I would add a handfull of crushed coral into a filter bag and stick it in your filter to help buffer it to acceptable levels.

Your ph is too low to be condusive to beneficial bacteria growth. At around 6.5 its growth slows down considerably. At around 6.0 it stops altogether.

I would add a handfull of crushed coral into a filter bag and stick it in your filter to help buffer it to acceptable levels.

+1

I had this problem while cycled once and it stumped me for a while. Get the pH back up to around 7.0 and it will start going again.

Caleb

Cycling causes the Ph to drop especially if the water is soft and the Kh is very low. Coral and crushed shell is a good longer term solution for water stability but I use bicarbonate of soda to stabilise my tanks. About a teaspoon per 4 gallons will raise your Kh by around 5-6 degrees Kh which is ample to provide a stable Ph.
Kh and Gh seem to be overlooked by a lot of first time fish keepers, probably because it's not included in the API Master Test Kit, which is so popular. An API Gh and Kh test kit can be purchased separately and is a must if you have soft tap water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom