Frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUEYES

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So im new to this about 6wks in. I have a 29 gallon tank with 1 pleco, 6 platys, and 2 mollies. My water is brackish. I have already dealt with the ich issue and have just got rid of it :oops:. My question now is my ammonia has spiked and has stayed at a 2 - 4 level for over 2wks now. My ph is 6.8 nitrite and nitrates are 0. I just put ammonia safe in yesterday since some of there gills are red. My ammonia isnt dropping but i've heard that can be normal when adding this chemical. I just ordered Bio-Spira so i hope that will help with cycling my tank. I also do 20-25% water changes weekly thats not seeming to help. Any advice would be appreciated.

You need to do some big water changes and get that Ammonia down to a level less than 0.5. This may require multiple water changes in one day. The fish are being harmed. Test frequently and do frequent water changes to get keep the ammonia down. Mollies and Plecos are big waste generators so you need to keep a close eye on the levels.

6 weeks in, you should be getting nitrites. Seeding the tank is certainly a good idea, but in the meantime, I would agree lots of pwc's are needed. During a fishy cycle, daily water changes are the norm.

Ammonia binders are really just stop gaps. They do break down so you have to keep adding it daily. <And unless you have a salicylate ammonia kit, that can tell bound from unbound ammonia, you have no idea if your tank is safe or not, or how much additional binders to add.> Personally, I would rather remove the ammonia with pwc's. <Yes, that will slow down the cycle, but it is much better for the fish.>

BTW - what is your tank temp? Colder tanks take longer to cycle .... and unheated goldfish tank might take 4-6 months .... bring up the temp is one thing you can do if it is low.

I just did about 35% (8/9 gallons)change, some fish are going to the top of the water for air.:confused: I tested my water right after and it seemed to be at a 2. the temp is between 76/80. Why dont i have nitrates or nitrites yet, could i be cleaning it to much. Or could my issues be because of the ich and having to take the carbon filter out?

You want to try to get your ammonia down to .25ppm or lower. When not sure what amount of water to change out, think of the math. If you're at 2ppm now, you would need about a 90% wc to reach .25ppm (because .25ppm is just over 10% of 2ppm). I hope that makes sense. I suggest you do 1-2 more large water changes, since 90% is difficult when there's fish in the tank.

If you do a 50% change now, that would reduce to 1ppm, and another 75% would then further reduce to .25. Just some suggestions, you can always change out what you have time for. More is better when dealing with fish-in cycling, IMO.

Remember to temperature match and dechlorinate as you go.

Good luck!

The ammonia safe is a waste of money, your dechlorinator does the same thing. You just need to test and do big water changes! What test are you using? Which dechlorinator are you using?

I have a API freshwater master test kit. Im also using API stress coat +. I have changed 20 gallons from a 29 gallon tank and im still at a 1ppm. This is in the last 12 hrs. The ammonia is better but changing that much water i would think it would have more of an impact. How often can you do water changes that are that large? I add more stress coat after each change, do i also need to replace the salt to?

BLUEYES said:
I have a API freshwater master test kit. Im also using API stress coat +. I have changed 20 gallons from a 29 gallon tank and im still at a 1ppm. This is in the last 12 hrs. The ammonia is better but changing that much water i would think it would have more of an impact. How often can you do water changes that are that large? I add more stress coat after each change, do i also need to replace the salt to?

Since Plecos and Platies aren't brackish fish I would only use 1 Tbsp aquarium salt per 5 gal.
Being careful not to over salt the tank.

Mollies do like brackish, but you'll need to test your salinity to know if you are staying in the zone.

What kind of Pleco ?? Common Pleco is way too big for 29g. Plus a new tank has no algae yet. Make sure you feed him properly and provide wood.

BLUEYES said:

We all use prime here! It seems to do a better job plus you use less so it last longer. If I have to do large wc, ill do one then wait 4-5 hrs and retest then do one so the fish are less stressed out.

Stop adding salt and stop adding anything chemical other than a dechlorinator. Do lots of water changes, as advised. Your pleco is adding a huge bioload to this tank. That's most likely the reason for your readings.

Did you cycle with these fish in the tank?

The tanks been setup for about 6 wks so i have algae. Ill have to look for Prime. Im gonna test again in a few hours and ill post the results. Hopefully i can have this under control by tomorrow.

BLUEYES said:
The tanks been setup for about 6 wks so i have algae. Ill have to look for Prime. Im gonna test again in a few hours and ill post the results. Hopefully i can have this under control by tomorrow.

Prime is alot cheaper online if your ordering other stuff to get free shipping. Good luck but if its still cycling it'll take longer

4 of the fish are original to the tank, im pretty sure it has not cycled yet. The pleco is only 2in if that, could he be causing this much trouble.

BLUEYES said:
4 of the fish are original to the tank, im pretty sure it has not cycled yet. The pleco is only 2in if that, could he be causing this much trouble.

He may be playing a huge role in it! Are you feeding him alot?

The reason your fish are going tothe top is because of the ammonia. Keep changing the water and good luck! :)

I usually feed him 1 or 2 times a week, i also put zuchinni in but have stopped until i get this ammonia under control. I just did another big wc and im somewhere between .50 and 1ppm closer to .50 i think.

BLUEYES said:
I usually feed him 1 or 2 times a week, i also put zuchinni in but have stopped until i get this ammonia under control. I just did another big wc and im somewhere between .50 and 1ppm closer to .50 i think.

What's ur tap water readings?

Back
Top Bottom