Frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im not gonna do another wc today dont wanna stress them to much. I just dont understand why in 6 wks i have none of the other stuff. How long does it take to start getting BB?

I had to take the charcoal filter out because of ich but the biofilter has been in there the whole time. I cleaned the filter out today because of reduced water flow. But i used tank water to rinse it out.

BLUEYES said:
I had to take the charcoal filter out because of ich but the biofilter has been in there the whole time. I cleaned the filter out today because of reduced water flow. But i used tank water to rinse it out.

That stress coat that your using, does it say it removes chlorine? Can't remember if it does. But before I started using prime I used start right! You can leave the charcoal out it doesn't help anything but remove chemicals.

yes, The charcoal is included with the blue smaller mesh filter and then theres a black larger mesh filter which im assuming is the bio filter

BLUEYES said:
yes, The charcoal is included with the blue smaller mesh filter and then theres a black larger mesh filter which im assuming is the bio filter

Yea I use those blue things to on my hob. I also have a canister

BLUEYES said:
It was high but has corrected itself

What is the pH of your tap water? Let a cup sit out over night and test in the morning. pH swings/crashes can stall a cycle. What pH was it when you set up the tank and what has it fallen to? What is it now?

tap water is very high 8ish it was 7.6ish but has dropped to 6.8

BLUEYES said:
tap water is very high 8ish it was 7.6ish but has dropped to 6.8
My tanks are a sable 8.0-8.2 ... 8 range isn't high.
Your cycle will stall at a pH of 6.0 and fluctuating pH is very stressful on fish and could account for problems.

the lfs store said 7 ughhh wish they would know what there talking about !

i've done 2 big water changes today you think it would be to much to do another one

BLUEYES said:
i've done 2 big water changes today you think it would be to much to do another one

What size PWC's have you done today? When I was having level issues I did 2 PWC/day and it took a good week to balance out.

Hi and welcome! It depends, what does your test kit say? If ammonia is still over .25 (.5 max) I'd do another one to try to get it lower. Also for the Stress Coat, does it say it nuetralizes or detoxifies chlorines, chloramines and heavy metals? How much are you using? It's possible there's something in your tap water that the dechlorinator isn't neutralizing and inhibiting the cycle. Also you're adding the dechlorinator prior to putting it into the tank, right?

Also does the tank have an air stone or does the filter output splash water into the tank so that the surface is agitated? These help produce oxygen exchange which can be beneficial to the fish as well as the bacteria you're trying to grow.

BLUEYES said:
the lfs store said 7 ughhh wish they would know what there talking about !

Depending on the fish store it's not always good to get advice from them. They are in the business of making money... If they tell you you need to keep your pH at 7 and you tell them
It's a higher number they will easily sell you a "wonderful product" to help you lower your levels.
It's the stability of the pH not so much the number..

i've done 2 50% pwc today and its got my ammonia down to .50 from 2/4. i use stress coat it says removes chlorine & chloramines detoxifies heavy metals. i add the water and put the stress coat in immediatly after. Yes i have an airstone and my filter is about 1in above my water level so it moves it around good.

i only put the stress coat in for the amount of new water im putting in the tank is that right?

BLUEYES said:
i only put the stress coat in for the amount of new water im putting in the tank is that right?

You should always put dechlorinator in first then add water and add enough dechlorinator for entire tank NOT just what you took out!!!!

well #*** thats probably my problem then the chlorine is killing the bacteria huh explains everything ty god i feel stupid right now.

Back
Top Bottom