Fry suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyderik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im debating on removing all the babies from my tank to house in a small 2.5 gallon kids tank... my problems with previous litters has been other fish eating them.

I do have a couple questions.
The fry are albino convicts.. (they do breed easy)

What should they eat? Ive read fry go for flakes broken up well...should that be what I try?

And is there a certain time I should try to net them out? They were born about 3 days ago.

Anything else you can suggest would be great :D
Thanks
D

I'm not huge on cichlids, but aren't convicts mouth-brooders? I would think if they were born 3 days ago that the mother would still be holding them.

On another note, finely crushed flakes or Hikari first bites would be my suggestion. However, that is just my opinion from what I've read as I've yet to have any spawns that survived past the egg stage.

I dont think they are mouth brooders...
From the few times they have laid eggs and the babies are free swimming immediately...

The mother and father do round them up in their mouths, which might make it difficult to net them out....

No, convicts are not mouth brooding but they are usually very protective of their young. However domesticated species can sometimes get confused, years of genetic inbreeding often cause this in fish. I see it in angels all the time, they are supposed to protect their eggs but often eat them in aquariums.

Alshain said:
No, convicts are not mouth brooding but they are usually very protective of their young. However domesticated species can sometimes get confused, years of genetic inbreeding often cause this in fish. I see it in angels all the time, they are supposed to protect their eggs but often eat them in aquariums.

Its a mixture of the mother/father eating them, and other fish in the tank...which is why I want to seperate them.

Back
Top Bottom