Fry tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a spare tank in the garage, and a few fish showing interest in breeding. So I figured that I needed to set up a grow up fry tank. It will only be used to give the fish a chance to get big enough to go back into main tank. I set it up in my girls room because they have been asking for their own tank. I built the stand and found all the river rock. I had to cut a few pieces of glass to make a bench for the light to sit on. I have used water out if the original tank the fry will be coming out of. With two hob filters. One with a old filter to help cycle the tank faster, and the other with poly fill to help clean the water. What do you guys think.

Attachments

• image-3872450718.jpg
    image-3872450718.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2612203415.jpg
    image-2612203415.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3188619551.jpg
    image-3188619551.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3872232809.jpg
    image-3872232809.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image-259758609.jpg
    image-259758609.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-4064797209.jpg
    image-4064797209.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1308842798.jpg
    image-1308842798.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1768198379.jpg
    image-1768198379.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1492586181.jpg
    image-1492586181.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image-492030361.jpg
    image-492030361.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1408741237.jpg
    image-1408741237.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 81
Don't know what type fish exactly, you never stated that. The tank looks great, but depending on your goal it may not be as fuctional as you wish. If you plan to keep significant numbers of fry then you may have issues keeping water clean and not sucking up the fry in a power filter. I use bare bottom rearing tanks. Tank, water, air sponge filter and fry. This makes clean up a snap. If you use live food, bbs, micro worms etc.. You will run into maintenance problems with the water.

Good luck

x2 I never got specs on the tank or filters but it looks really good! I usually over power my filters on tanks a little like in my 20gal I run a 30/40 gallon rated and on my 30gal I run a 40/50 gallon rated and on my 55gal I run dual 30/40 gallon filters, the water stays cleaner way longer IMO its always worked for me and it circulates water better.

Going purely off your photos, I'm gonna say that's a 20gal long tank judging by the light fixture which is telling me it's a regular 20" t5 hood, and also judging by your filters that's either a medium cartridge in a small filter or a large cartridge in a medium filter, so I'm gonna say your running a 20gal rated filter on it? I would keep both running on the tank if possible and change filters every week or two to keep the water as clean as possible, also separate em as far apart as possible as well to keep a nice easy current for the fry to swim in while still circulating water well. Good luck.

They are both rated for a 20 gallon tank and the bigger filter is in there to help cycle the tank faster. I have another filter that is rated for a 40 gallon that I may change over soon. I know it is not going to be the easiest tank to keep up but lots of water changes and I will be fine. I set it up this way so my girls could have a tank. They have been begging. How long should the tank cycle before I can add the fry. The water is out of the tank they are coming from and the old cartridge is as well. Hoping only maybe a few days?

It's about how I plan to scape my 180 + some driftwood when I get it ready.

They are both rated for a 20 gallon tank and the bigger filter is in there to help cycle the tank faster. I have another filter that is rated for a 40 gallon that I may change over soon. I know it is not going to be the easiest tank to keep up but lots of water changes and I will be fine. I set it up this way so my girls could have a tank. They have been begging. How long should the tank cycle before I can add the fry. The water is out of the tank they are coming from and the old cartridge is as well. Hoping only maybe a few days?

i would leave the dual 20's in there just spead em apart to each end, and your water will stay crystal clear for a long while with water changes as well, and as far as cycling after 48hrs i check my levels, pH, temp, etc, and if its safe ill introduce my fish one at a time as least stressful as possible and your golden.

i would leave the dual 20's in there just spead em apart to each end, and your water will stay crystal clear for a long while with water changes as well, and as far as cycling after 48hrs i check my levels, pH, temp, etc, and if its safe ill introduce my fish one at a time as least stressful as possible and your golden.

That's good news. It's been running for three day. Will check it out after work. I have a few convicts that I am going to put in there, as they get bigger I will give them away. My brother gave them to me and I know what will happen. They breed like crazy. Hoping my demasoni try breeding again. I also have a few yellow labs acting the part. The convicts are in different tank than the other fish. Would not mix them. I know that much.

One thing to keep in mind is the majority of your sturdy beneficial bacteria not in the old water but on the surface of the filter media and everything else in your established tank. Usually old bacteria is displaced by sturdier bacteria and becomes free floating, hence the need for water changes. A good reason not to clean your filter or decorations on the same day as a water change. You would be creating a drastic change in balance. So in my opinion don't remove the established filter till you are sure your levels maintain themselves, stable and the newer filter has become itself established.

One thing to keep in mind is the majority of your sturdy beneficial bacteria not in the old water but on the surface of the filter media and everything else in your established tank. Usually old bacteria is displaced by sturdier bacteria and becomes free floating, hence the need for water changes. A good reason not to clean your filter or decorations on the same day as a water change. You would be creating a drastic change in balance. So in my opinion don't remove the established filter till you are sure your levels maintain themselves, stable and the newer filter has become itself established.

Yeah that's my plan. But always good to get good advice.

Back
Top Bottom