fuge, DSB and a plenum??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarDaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I am reading and reading and have run accross an interesting idea, build a plenum under my DSB in my fuge.

I was planning on a DSB of between 5 and 6 inches, this is plenty deep for placing a plenum under and still have 5 inches of sand above. Are any of you using a plenum, are there benefits that you see?

I figure I will go for it, what can it hurt?

Do you know of any drw backs to a dsb with a plenum?

How big is your fuge? If there is little area (LxW), a DSB in a small space is wasted. It won't process anything usefull.

Cheers
Steve

the fuge is a box 14X14 that is 18 inches deep. The plan is 6 inches of DSB with 11inches of water on top. I plan on growing macro algee, and possiable keeping some seahorses(down the road), my wife really wants some.

The fuge will house a cleaning crew to keep the sand, as I understand that is important.

I sounds like the plenum just makes the DSB a bit more effective by adding more dead water space fot the porper bacteria to colonize. It does not sound like it can hurt, and sure is simple enough to set up. I think I will give it a try.

The refuge is a box of its own, only connected to the sump via overflow, this will allow me to keep a nice slow waterflow.

Does that sound about right? I have #1 grade fine sand that I will use. Doe the addition of this MUD stuff help the macro algee, or do I need to bother?

14"x14" seems like it should be sufficient to get a good DSB functioning. 6" depth is probably excess - 4" would be fine. I'd put some small LR in there too.

A plenum can have 2 components - the usually 1" water space below using undergravel filter/etc, and a screen at mid-depth to prevent burrowing organisms from disturbing the lower layer. People disagree on whether either of these components help the filtering capacity of a DSB, but I don't think many argue they hurt. I think the first component is to reduced the lower layers from going completely anaerobic, while the second component is to either prevent the bottom layers from getting aerated or prevent agitation of any potential pockets of hydrogen sulfide. I don't think the first component can hurt and is worth trying out - the second component isn't necessary in a fuge.

Sand and MUD aren't mixed - you usually use either one or the other. I think Miracle mud is more useful for higher marine plants that prefer a deep nutrient-rich substrate.

I actually don't think the area available in that sized tank will make an effective DSB at all. The limited area, especially considering the main tank it will be servicing will most likely be quite inadequate. What size is the main anyway? Your profile is empty.

As far as the plenum idea, I think you will end up encouraging the growth of obligate anaerobes which in the long run are not very desirable and are what often cause tank crash's. Being a fuge puts you in a better position though, it's easily disconnected from the main.

Personally I think you'd get alot more use from this sized tank as a slow flow SSB macro algae fuge with lots of rock rubble. It will still be usable as a horse tank as well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom