fungus problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darthia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am having a very hard time getting this whitish fungus growth out of my tank. I have some decorations and rocks that I had in a 12.5 gallon tank that became infested with the stuff, killing all the fish inside. I still have one fish left and I decided to put him in a 10 gallon and I used the gravel and decorations from the old tank. Well yesterday his eyes developed a white film over them, which told me that the fungus had made its way into the new tank despite my scouring and cleaning and scrubbing everything with hot water. So today I recleaned the tank, got a new filter, but my fish still has a bit of film on his eyes.

I dont have any money right now for any chemical medication, but I do have some aquarium salt and I put in about 1 tablespoon 10 minutes ago. Does anyone else have any advice on how to treat the fish or how to get rid of this fungus and keep it from returning?

Sounds like food that may have decayed in the tank, and then molded.

Do you have any bottom feeders? How often do you clean the gravel? How often do you perform water changes?

No, I dont have any bottom feeders at the moment, and I clean the gravel every Friday. The tank that the fish is in now has only been up for 3 days and I have done 10% water changes yesterday and today.

This needs to be treated with an antifungal med. If that is not possible, you need to clean the tank again, using a tiny amount of bleach in the water, then rise, rise, rise!!

I am having the same problem, I just got fish to live in my tank for the first time in a year... Well not anymore the last fish just die last night. I was just wondering did the problem start after you added a new plant or live worms? My problem started shortly after I added those items. Please keep me up dated. :(

Menagerie said:
... tiny amount of bleach in the water, then rise, rise, rise!!

I hope you mean rinse, rinse, rinse.

For live worms you have to make sure ALL of them are eaten or some parts of them can burrow into the substrate then die.

Darthia you should probably get some bottom feeders like cory cats to eat any excess food on the gravel. Sometimes the white film in the eyes is from a drastic decrease in the pH of the water.

When I first started keeping fish I had 3 lemon tetras 3 rosy barbs and 3 white cloud tetras in a ten gallon. All of the sudden there were white spots on the fish and they all died except the white clouds, they stayed completly health. I had no idea what ick was til it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom