FW 55gal thinking of converting to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gal FW set up as follows

6 giant danios
1 BN pleco
playsand substrate
Marineland magnum pro canister filter w/ biowheels
heater
tons of plastic plants
two moss balls
two banana plants

aside from rehoming the plants, fish, and of course having to change the filter media and cleaning out the filter, do you think I could use the tank, substrate (after washing and drying out), and filter to start a FOWLR set up? I have never had a saltwater tank before, and although I love the set up I have, I truly would love to start a SW tank. But, almost needless to say, I would be working on an extreme budget so I would like to reuse as much as I could. Eventually I would work up to a sump set up after I got the hang of running things.

I know I would need to pick up a few things such as a hydrometer, salt, live rock and some kind of buffer solution. I have been given an RO/DI unit to hook up to our sink, so I'm not worried about.

Also, what would be a great starter fish? (after fishless cycling the tank)

To be honest. A budget and a saltwater tank don't mix. It is expensive to start a sw tank. Lighting being the most expensive if you want corals. I'm in the process of buying the items and I'm going to spend around $600 and that doesn't include the live rock I already have. In my opinion, leave it freshwater and purchase the items monthly to spread out the cost. Just a suggestion though. :)

Well, my plan was to work towards corals after a long period of time. My question was can I reuse the filter and substrate, start with rock and work towards reefdom in a few years.

You can use almost everything from a fw setup. :) I would however buy new substrate, like sand or something similar. The larger gravel from FW is usually too big and can trap particles and cause all sorts of headaches.

Yes in theory that will work for a FOWLR but what SomethingsFishy is trying to say is you will find your self spending a lot more money than you originaly intend to. Thats what happend to me!!

without a doubt, saltwater is a money pit. :) I've spent literally thousands of dollars in about a year. Just be prepared for the cost.

Back
Top Bottom