FX5 won't empty with pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esargent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I've had this problem for years, and it's driving me crazy. The manual says you can use the pump to empty the canister, and there are step by step instructions to do it -- make an outflow hose that reaches a drain, unhook the usual inflow/outflow hoses, put the new hose on the OUT connection, and with the valve closed, plug the pump back in. Then you open the valve -- and it should pump the canister out.

Here's what happens to me -- it pumps about 10% of the water out of the canister, and then the water stops flowing. When I unplug it and start it again, some water overflows out of the IN connection. After a few times of stopping and starting, all with no additional water flow except a little out of the IN side and onto the floor, I give up and lug the full canister to the bathtub.

I can't use the purge valve to empty the filter when it is under the tank, because the drain is uphill from there.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks,
Eva

Funny -- I just checked and although the video says to open the valve and then plug the unit in, the owners manual says to plug it in first and then open it. Somehow I doubt this makes a difference, but next time I tear it down I am going to do it in the order as on the video and see if that makes a difference.

Other than that, I am doing everything just as shown in the video.

Thanks for this hint -- it may just work.

Back
Top Bottom