Galaxy Rasboras a threatened species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't mean it like that. I would only recommend these fish to people that can get them to reproduce. I am not telling everyone that they should go buy these fish so that they can have them in their tank in their living room. I ONLY recommend these fish to people that CAN breed them. If I would have known about their demise in the wild WHEN I bought them, I would NOT have bought them. I am not sure if I can breed these guys or not, but with the recent information, I feel it is my resposibility to at least TRY.

I apologize that what I said was taken the way it was, but I did not mean it like that at all. I try to be resposible about the fish that I choose for my tanks and try to mimic their natural habitat as best as I can. I try to take care of them the best I can, and would love to breed every fish that I keep. I am very serious about breeding, and try to only pick out fish that I can get to spawn. I got a good deal on the rasboras, like I said, BEFORE THEY BECAME ENDANGERED. If I knew then what I know now, I would NOT have bought them. But now that I own them, I need to at least TRY to get them to spawn.

And just because I was misunderstood, I will state again, if you are not sure that you can breed these fish DO NOT BUY THEM! Only buy them if you are SURE you can get them to spawn. It is so sad that these fish are in the state they are now, but lets do what we can to save them before them and their entire natural habitat is destroyed.

he sent me an email telling me that he would sit down and type me a respone sometime in the near future. Haven't heard back from him other than that though. I will keep yall updated.

Spawning is not difficult at all...a number of local aquarists here already have schools of healthy fry, and I have heard of many aquarists world-wide having good success with these fish.

That's good that spawning is an easy process. We just need people to do this commercially so there is enough supply, which is not robbing the wild population.

theotheragentm said:
That's good that spawning is an easy process. We just need people to do this commercially so there is enough supply, which is not robbing the wild population.

It is already happening...you can guarantee that if there is demand for the fish, and they are easy to spawn, that at least 4-5 fish-farms are already building stock.

coldmachineUK said:
Commonly it's no longer the 'galaxy microrasbora' but rather the 'celestial pearl danio'.

Yes, but we all know that 'galaxy rasbora' will stick....just like no-one will ever stop calling 'rasbora hets' that even though they are now Trigonostigma.

Back
Top Bottom