Gallons/litres.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So would I be best getting some live plants? Do I need soil for them? Also! Are there such things that you can get to hoover the dirt out of the gravel?

You can have live plants without soil.

If you get a houseplant called a Pothos, you can secure it with roots in the water and let it grow along the back of your tank. Or you can plant your HOB filter.

I don't know what your resources are, but I found a club in my area. I joined. I get free plants. I had a rough couple of years healthwise, when I moved into my current house and said I wanted a big tank my club member gave me a whole set up. If you look at my thread 55g Fell into my lap...thats my build thread.

Java Fern
Anubias
Hornwort are all easy to grow.

Java Fern and Anubias don't like the Rhizome buried so you can tie or glue them to rocks or wood.

Hornwort can grow free floating or planted.

So would I be best getting some live plants? Do I need soil for them? Also! Are there such things that you can get to hoover the dirt out of the gravel?

Live plants are always beneficial. In a way, they are like mini filters. You don't need soil for them. You can use normal substrate and just put root tabs under the substrate for the heavy root feeders. Many people, myself included, don't vacuum the substrate for planted tanks. You'd risk disturbing plant roots, and you remove nutrients from the substrate. I use my siphon to hover and pick up any nasty organic matter that may be on the substrate. Some easy, slow-growing plants include Microsorum sp. (aka Java Fern), Anubias, Echinodorus, Cryptocoryne (most types), Dwarf Sag, and Bucephalandra. There are also some easy stem plants, such as Ludwigia repens and Wisteria.

Back
Top Bottom