Gar I.D.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NarwhalLover3

Aquarium Advice Freak
He's about two inches. Any tips on what to feed him?

image-292587514.jpg

Attachments

• image-5411345.jpg
    image-5411345.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 122
Thanks. I added him to the tank on Sunday and haven't got him to eat. I've only tried brine shrimp and bloodworms though.

Don't Gar get huge?

Hope you have plans for when this little 'un gets huge lol ^_^

I do. There's a lfs here that only sells freshwater creatures and has some huge tanks with giant fire eels and sell to clients who can house fish that size, but I figure since its so small it will be fine in my tank until then. :)

I do. There's a lfs here that only sells freshwater creatures and has some huge tanks with giant fire eels and sell to clients who can house fish that size, but I figure since its so small it will be fine in my tank until then. :)

You should plan to keep him at adult size. Very impressive fish and awesome to watch.

You should plan to keep him at adult size. Very impressive fish and awesome to watch.

I agree. I LOVE gars. Always see them fishing and love watching them "play" (back home they live in the bayou out back. I loved sitting out on the porch and just watching them flip in the water with their orange bellies. Or go after fish ad scare them up). I was actually surprised to find one in the LFS! Never knew people kept them as pets in a tank. Sorry no advice! Just really a bad arse fish all around.

They are awesome. I'd like to keep at adult size. That'd be rad. I just hope he'll start eating. I've kept trying bloodworms, but he still hasn't took one. He will swim over to the ones that stay at the top of the water and bump his (snout?) at 'em, but doesn't eat them. I'm hoping that its a start! *fingers crossed* :)

They are awesome. I'd like to keep at adult size. That'd be rad. I just hope he'll start eating. I've kept trying bloodworms, but he still hasn't took one. He will swim over to the ones that stay at the top of the water and bump his (snout?) at 'em, but doesn't eat them. I'm hoping that its a start! *fingers crossed* :)

Have you tried feeder goldfish yet? I hope he starts eating too. Would be neat to watch him grow up on here.

Well, I have some just hatched bass in there, but they are just about his size and he is really small. I have a ton of ghost shrimp in there with him, so I'm not sure if he's eating them at night. He hasn't touched the bass. I'm assuming that they're about the same size as feeder goldfish.

I netted some 1/2 inch shrimp and hen I released them, they were swimming everywhere and he just backed away like he was scared. :(

He might still be stressed from being put in a tank. If you have access to some tiny guppies or tiny gambusia minnows, try dropping in a couple and see if he goes for them. I have 2 1inch largemouth bass and when I drop the gambusia in there they go crazy.

Maybe my lfs will have some. I'll try to go this weekend. My bass are crazy for bloodworms.

Haha I was planning on making a trip to the lfs to get bloodworms for my bass and my 1/2-3/4 of an inch green sunfish fry I have with them, they attack anything that hits the water!

Right? Haha I'm prolly going to have to separate them when my gar starts to eat. They'll eat it all!

That would probably be best haha they are so greedy. I have to feed them in all corners of the tank so my catfish can come up and get some because the bass and sunfish just sit there and eat all they can. When the gar does start to eat though he might think the bass are a snack

Haha. That's ok. As long as he's eating. I know it sounds cruel but that's why I put them in there.

Back
Top Bottom