Gar I.D.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I hear you, gotta protect the investment haha. Oh and did you catch the gar and bass, and with what? Just curious

Sorry. The first post wasn't supposed to send. It was supposed to be,

Yep. The bass were in schools of 100+ and I caught them with a net. The gar was swimming by private racing boat docks and I just laid down on one of the docks and caught it with my hand.

That's awesome! I caught 3 bass in my homemade minnow trap, I assumed they were swimming with a school and just those 3 got trapped. That must of been neat to catch the gar like that, I've never seen them that small. I was walking down a muddy gulley netting my sunfish fry with a little cheap dipnet, when it exploded! I had about a foot and a half shortnose gar in it haha

My best catch ever was Saltwater, I caught a Snook in my castnet that wasn't even an inch long. Put him back really quickly, would love to one day have a saltwater tank! Grats on the Gar, hopefully he starts eating soon, and feeder goldfish are the way to go- yes feeder goldfish in the wild are illegal, but had some friends who would use them and caught everything from bluegill, to bass, to a few Gar. Good Luck!

Wow! That'd be awesome! An the gar is finally eating!!! :) He's been eating brine shrimp like its nobody's business!!! :) I need to get more bloodworms. I ran out. Trips to the lfs are always good. Haha. :p

Wow! That'd be awesome! An the gar is finally eating!!! :) He's been eating brine shrimp like its nobody's business!!! :) I need to get more bloodworms. I ran out. Trips to the lfs are always good. Haha. :p

Good to hear he is finally eating! Am loving these stories, makes me want to whip out the old casting net. Haven't touched that in 6 odd years! Use to catch so many random things out back and lots of shrimp.

Glad he's finally eating! Keep us posted as he grows. Yes it's fun to cast net until you catch an alligator in it! Haha that was an interesting trip

Me too!!! :) all of the ghost shrimp I have I also caught. Like 80% of them have eggs! Not sure when they'll hatch, but I'm sure they'd be good gar snacks. :p

Back
Top Bottom